Ch 3

I'm surprised at how much of the course work I already know. There are new things, given it's an entirely different region, but so much is the same. I'm in the library, reading about the history of the region for Raifort. I wonder if those legendary Pokemon are still bound by those swords.

"Hey there!" I hear Penny's voice say. I look up and see her jogging from the lobby towards me. I get up and meet her, giving her a hug as has become customary between all of us. "So, other than studying, what's your plans for today?" She asks, adjusting her Eevee backpack.

"Not much. Thought I'd go into town and get those common ingredients you guys like. Maybe take a Sky Taxi to the auctions to get more seafood ones for Jasmine. She's like a bottomless pit for them!" I chuckle.

"Sounds like a plan! The others don't have anything going on, how about we make it a group trip? If your dad calls, we can say Mr. Saguaro paired up teams to gather as many ingredients as possible for an upcoming contest." She says, leaning against a shelf.

It blows my mind how willing everyone is to help me lie to my parents. The other day, Arven and I were in the school store, getting potions and vitamins for our pokemon when Mom called. When she saw Arven, she demanded to know who he was. When I said he's just another person shopping, he acted the part immediately. I must admit, he was adorable when he was blushing after Mother said he was a Pretty Boy, and to not let him distract me.

"Sounds like a good plan. Although maybe you guys should hide the next few times they call. They'll get suspicious if they constantly see you guys in the background." I suggest. Penny goes to answer, but is interrupted by the sound of something above us breaking. We look up, and I see a railing headed right for us!

I grab Penny and duck out of the way, the railing crashing right where we were standing. I look up again and see Arven hanging off the ledge, struggling to pull himself up. "Arven!!" Penny yelps, afraid. I run under him, arms out.

"Let go!!! I'll catch you!!!" I yell up, braced for impact.

"Are you nuts!? I'm heavier that you are! I'll flatten you!" He yells down, still trying to pull himself up.

"Trust me, I'm stronger than I look! I got you!" I yell back. I can see him weigh it in his mind, but his grip slips, and he starts falling. I adjust myself and catch him in my arms, knees bending to absorb the force. I'm just glad he isn't wearing his backpack. He looks at me in shock, face close to mine. "See? Told you." I smile, then gently put him down. "Are you ok? Anything hurt?" I ask, looking him over.

"No, I'm ok." He huffs, looking at me in a sort of wonder.

"What happened over here!?" Director Clavell's voice rings out. I turn and see him running over, Nurse Miriam and her assistant close behind.

"I was leaning against the railing, reading about different herbs when it gave out. I managed to grab the ledge, but my grip slipped. Rose caught me." Arven explains.

"And she saved me! The railing was gonna take us out, but she got us both to safety!" Penny adds. Director Clavell looks to me in surprise.

"You're a genuine hero today, Miss Rose." He smiles. I wave it off.

"No, no hero. Just looking out for people." I blush.

"No way! You're a hero! You saved two people!!!" A young student yells out, followed by other students cheering. I look down, not used to such attention outside gym battles.

"I promise you, you did a great thing today. I will confer with the staff on a proper reward for your heroic deed today. For now, enjoy your free time with your friends. I will get back to you." Director Clavell says, patting my shoulder. Once Nurse Miriam gives Arven the green light, and we recover our things, we head out into the city.