Ch 10

"Really! Miraidon just jumped right off!!! Would have been left behind if Arven hadn't grabbed my hand at the last moment!" Jasmine laughs. We're in a field in Area One of the South Provence, next to a small lake enjoying a nice picnic. Jasmine is telling Leo, Riley and I about having gone into the Crater two years ago with Nemona, Penny and Arven.

As she regales us, Arven is quiet. I don't blame him for it. His dad was the professor responsible for the dangerous pokemon arriving in the area, abandoning Arven for research. I take Arven's hand, holding it as Jasmine tells us about the fight with the AI professor. To find out your dad died and a robot basically replaced him, that has to hurt.

"Afterwards, we took the long way home, enjoying our victory!" Jasmine concludes. While Leo and Riley ask questions, I look to Arven.

"Are you ok?" I ask him, rubbing my thumb on the back of his hand. He nods, but his face says otherwise. "Talk to me, babe. You've been there for me with my parental bullshit. Let me be there for you." I say, still caressing his hand. He sighs.

"Later, ok? I... I don't wanna talk about it right now." He mumbles, looking at Jasmine and Nemona.

"Ok. I love you." I tell him. He looks at me and smiles.

"I love you too." He grins, then kisses my forehead. Mela gags, making us laugh. For an hour we bullshit, hanging out and enjoying each other's company. Just as I'm finishing up telling them a tale about a crazy fan from Alola, we hear a feminine voice call out.

Looking to the road, I see a woman with a lab coat and what looks like cave woman clothes. She has dirty blonde hair, like most of Arven's. I feel him tense up next to me. As she gets closer, I realize she and Arven have many similar features.

"Arven! It's been so long! By Arceus you're so big!" She calls out, walking up to us. Even I flinch from the the tone he uses when he speaks.

"Don't. Don't you dare. You walked out a few weeks after I was born. Almost twenty two years go by, and now you reappear?" He growls, gripping my hand hard. She looks like a shocked Pikachu.

"Son, I never meant-" She starts, but Arven cuts her off.

"You don't get to call me 'son'! Even though he left too, Dad at least made sure I was big enough to fend for myself! He didn't leave me as a baby!" He yells the last sentence, eyes hard. My hand is starting to hurt from how hard he's gripping it, but I don't dare show it. He needs me.

"I'm sorry! I needed to find my treasure! I would have been a horrible mother if I stayed. But I want to be there for you now. Tell me what to do, and I will do it. I'll fix my mistake! Just please, give me a chance." She implores. Arven goes to say something, but I touch his cheek, making him look at me.

His face instantly softens when he sees my face, and I touch our foreheads together. "Breathe. Slow, deep breaths." I whisper to him, looking him in his eyes. He stares back, cupping my cheek and taking slow breaths. Once I feel his muscles relax, I move my hand to the back of his neck.

"It's gonna be ok. She wants to fix it. It's more than my parents ever offered. I say give her one chance. I'll be with you the whole time, ok? You're not alone in this." I tell him softly, so only he hears me. His free hand comes up and grips my arm, right under my shoulder.

He takes a few more breaths, eyes closed. When he opens his eyes, he's calmer. "Thank you." He whispers, then gives me a quick kiss. He takes one more breath before he pulls away, looking to his mom. She has a soft look on her face as she watches us. "You get one chance. Only because Rose thinks you should." He tells her, still guarded.

"Ok. Thank you so-... Arven." She smiles in relief. Then she looks to me. "Thank you Rose. Not only for letting me have a chance, but being there for him. It makes me happy to know he isn't alone." She says. I nod politely, not wanting to say what I really want to say.