Prologue

A figure dashed through the trees. To her one side was the ocean, a 15-foot drop down a solid cliff face to the waves. To her other side was the forest, densely populated with trees. She glanced over her shoulder, catching a glimpse of the dancing torchlight in the forest. She spotted a decline in the cliff ahead, leading to the beach now protruding from the base of the cliffs. She ran faster.

The sand was soft beneath her bare feet. She could hear voices now. They were gaining on her. The round full moon shone in the sky, hanging low over the waves. It reflected in the sea, leaving a pale ghostly outline across the water.

She could tell they were almost right behind her. The sand was hindering her escape, but no more than it slowed their approach.

Out of the corner of her eye, she watched as the lowest point of the moon lifted above the horizon. Her eyes flashed and she could feel the weight of her exhaustion lifting. One of her pursuers shouted, alerting the others to the sudden danger.

She shifted and the sand beneath her feet sped past. There she was, taking a leisurely sprint down the sandy beach in the moonlight. Her pursuers fell away and she vanished into the distance.

~

The next morning, the Rockwood family started packing. The father had gotten a new job and they would be moving to another town. Two weeks later, the family left North Shores for Myers Harbour. 

~~~~~

A/N:

Thanks for reading, guys!

The prologue is really short in comparison to the other chapters; it's only supposed to give some backstory. The rest of the story is in first person. 

I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it!