Chapter 6: Unhand

We all would like to pretend that other people's rejection doesn't bother us. Maybe it truly doesn't. Unless that person holds a significant space in your life.

These people don't, Aiyla. H'wag kang masaktan... I repeatedly chanted inside my head.

"What is she like? Itong pinakasalan ni Ayden?" I heard the now familiar voice ask. "Maganda ba?"

"Maganda naman pero walang dating. Like she looks and sounds so bland. Parang walang alam," someone replied.

"How old is this woman?"

"Twenty-two."

"My God, nakapagtapos ba 'to ng pag-aaral?"

"She's a med student, Ate Crystal."

"At saang school naman daw s'ya nag-aaral, Jehann?"

Something about her tone made my hackles rise.

"We don't know. Hindi rin naman sinabi ni Kuya Ayden. Besides, hindi nga namin masyadong nakakausap 'yung wife n'ya because, hello, she came out of nowhere."

"Sounds like a gold digger to me. Did Tito Miguel and Tita Emari have her background checked? For all we know ay may balak palang hindi maganda sa pamilya natin ang babaeng 'yun."

"We don't know—"

"Christ! Ayden is a friggin' idiot! Parang mula n'ung naghiwalay sila ni Gwen ay hindi na gumagamit ng utak itong pinsan nating 'to!"

"Crys, stop stressing over our cousin's choices. Matanda na si Ayden. Alam na n'ya ang ginagawa n'ya—"

"Alam nga ba n'ya, Oona?"

Her question was met with silence.

"I am so annoyed! Masyado rin kasing ma-pride itong si Ayden! Ano ba naman 'yung sabihin n'ya kay Gwen na nagkamali s'ya? That he regrets letting her go? Na years later, it's still her he loves? Mahirap ba 'yun?"

"How is Gwen, by the way?"

"Brokenhearted when she heard that Ayden got married. She couldn't believe that our cousin would go that far to spite her."

"Poor Gwen."

I heard a chorus of sighs.

"Okay, Ladies, enough. This is depressing. We should just enjoy your party, Crystal. If you want to give Ayden an earful, do it after the celebration."

"You're right, Kendra. Why would I waste a good party worrying about Ayden when I can scream at him after the fun?"

They were laughing when they exited the comfort room while I was left feeling hollow.

I stayed inside the cubicle for three more minutes to gather my composure. When I opened the door, I faced the wall-to-wall mirror and practiced smiling even when my eyes were showing something else. But, I honestly wasn't sure what bothered me more – the fact that they were right when they said that I married Ayden for the money or the reality that a woman he's in love with actually exists.

I'm sure Ayden will find a way to make her leave, he always does...

"Aiyla, you are smart. You knew from the get-go what you got yourself into. You knew that your novelty as his bride was going to fade soon. You knew..." I said out loud.

I sighed. "Bakit, ano bang inaasahan mo? That he's going to fall for you? Na totohanin n'ya 'yung pagiging asawa n'ya sa'yo...?" I gently asked my reflection in the mirror. "Well, reality check, that's not going to happen..." I said my voice thickening with emotion.

I opened the tap to splash water on my face. Tama na sa pag-iilusyon, Aiyla. Bury your feelings and stick to the rules.

Five minutes later, I found Ayden with a group of young men and women and just like what it has been doing for the past nine weeks, my heart thumped excitedly at the sight of him.