Chapter Three

"Huh?"

Marcus let out a chest-shaking laugh. "Just tell me this: was it in this chair? Do I have to burn my clothes? This entire kitchen?"

"Stop with all that." Deon was trying to think of something smart to say but the fear of what Marcus would do when he realized Brie was there had him drawing blanks. He added, "the kitchen is safe".

"Ok. Keep your secret. Be right back. Ima shower the trip off me and get somma dat good-ass food I see. You, disinfect all contaminated surfaces." Marcus turned to leave.

"No!"

Marcus winced at the volume of Deon's voice and raised an eyebrow. "No? No what? Please, please tell me you didn't have her by me! Bruh. I told you to get the soaker tub. You didn't listen to me. I even let you use it from time to time, so you can recreate some bubble bath, feeding her fruit and shit. But do you have to fuck in my bed? Walk your black ass back over to your room!"

Deon opened his mouth to chuckle, but the noise sounded squeaky and forced.

"Bruh no one had a girl in your room. You so damn paranoid. And if I was gonna have anyone over, I would've blown her back out several times then called her a ride before dawn." Deon wiped down the island vigorously.

"Look, do you. Just over by you."

Marcus leaned across the table for a succulent strip of bacon. He wolfed it down and smacked his lips, licking the oil that clung to the pads of his fingers.

"She must've been damn good to get this feast. Even got you to make bacon! Or did she make it? Yeah on second thought, you would get a casual to cook for you and bounce."

He walked to the staircase. Deon quickly scanned the kitchen to make sure all the appliances were shut off and trailed after Marcus. He got to the bottom of the stairs and watched Marcus reach the second landing.

"Is someone else up here?"

"Marcus!" Brie popped out of his room.

"Brie?" Marcus said it with surprise in his voice.

"Hey, Dragon Slayer."

"What you doing here?"

Deon's heart was lodged in his throat. He couldn't move if he wanted to.

"Got drunk last night with Keke at Caravan. Needed to get my mind off my now-ex man. Then Keke found some new ting and I didn't wanna hear them, so I got my ride to drop me here. Deon said you were at some conference."

"Yeah," added Deon nervously. "I swear your cousin Keeks get more pussy than anyone I know."

"Why didn't you say Brie was here?"

Brie let out a cackle. "How, Sway? You never let anyone get a word in—"

"FOH, Brie!"

"—edgewise. See?"

She pushed her fingers against her brother's temple playfully. Deon rolled his eyes as the two siblings fought, talking smack the entire time.

"Whatever, Brattiana. Did Deon have a casual here last night? Is that why she made enough for a family brunch."

Brie shrugged and smiled to herself. If Marcus only knew that the food was her doing.

Marcus hooked his arm around his sister's neck. "So, ex man?"

"Yup."

"Good. Fuck him. You don't need him."

"That's what D said." Brie peeked a glance in Deon's direction.