How to teach syllable counting with easy methods

Are you seeking out thoughts to educate syllable counting? Or assets to assist children exercise their syllable counting talents?

Have you ever puzzled why we educate syllable counting to younger kids? Are you seeking to advantage readability on what precisely a syllable is?

If you responded sure to any of those questions, you're within side the proper place!

I had an concept to create a easy Syllable Counting printable, however the task saved growing, and growing, and growing. . . till it changed into a whole Syllable Counting Activity Pack!

That's proper, I actually have prepare an superb useful resource with the whole thing you ever desired to realize approximately syllable counting, along with what makes a syllable, techniques for coaching kids to matter syllables, syllable phrase cards, and numerous interactive sports and video games to get children training their syllable counting talents along with syllable race, syllable mazes, syllable counting clip cards, and more.

What is a syllable?

The dictionary definition for a syllable is: "a unit of pronunciation having one vowel sound, with or without surrounding consonants, forming the whole or a part of a word."

You can also think of syllables as single, unbroken sounds of a spoken word. Sometimes syllables are referred to as the "beats" of language

A word can have 1, 2, 3, 4, or even more syllables.

1 syllable words: hi, fun, kites2 syllable words: hello, runner, party3 syllable words: elephant, fantastic4 syllable words: alligator, photography

Every syllable must contain at least one vowel, as it is the opening and closing of the mouth to say the vowel sound that makes a syllable.

However, it is the number of vowel sounds that determines the number of syllables in a word, not the number of vowels.

For example, words like 'bike' and 'cake' have two vowels but only one vowel sound. And words like 'sound' and 'boil' are spelled with vowel teams that make a single vowel sound. As such, these words all have just one syllable.

Also note that 'y' can make a vowel sound as in the words 'try' and 'fly.'

While every syllable must contain a vowel, a syllable may or may not include consonants.

A syllable may have no consonants, such as in the word 'I' or the syllable 'a' at the beginning of the two-syllable word 'apex.'A syllable may have consonants at the beginning, such as 'he' or 'pro.'A syllable may have consonants at the end, such as 'is' or 'un.'A syllable may have consonants at both the beginning and end, such as 'has' or 'run.'

The number of syllables in a word is unrelated to the number of letters in the word. 'Sounds' with six letters and 'red' with three letters both have just one syllable.

Similarly, the number of phonemes (the smallest unit of sound) is also unrelated to the number of syllables in a word. 'Light' has three phonemes (/l/ /igh/ /t/) and 'go' has two (/g/ /ō/), but both words have only one syllable.

To reiterate, it is the number of vowel sounds, not the number of vowels, letters or phonemes, that determines the number of syllables in a word.

Of course, your children can learn to count syllables without knowing any of this background information. But as an educator, you may have find this information helpful and clarifying.

Why is counting syllables important?

Counting syllables is a pre-reading skill that children are expected to master in preschool or kindergarten. Learning to count syllables is important because:

Dividing words into syllables helps the process of decodingKnowing the rules for syllable division helps students read words more accurately and fluentlyKnowing the rules for syllable division helps children to understand the conventions for spelling English wordHow to teach syllable counting

When you start to teach syllable counting, have your child start with words of high interest to them, such as their names and the names of their family, pets, and friends. Then you can move on to other words that are relevant to them, such as naming their favorite foods or animals.

Below are several fun and simple strategies children can use when counting syllables:

Clap out syllables: Teach your child to clap each syllable as they say a word.

Tap out syllables with sticks: Instead of clapping, hand your child a set of sticks (e.g., craft sticks, drum sticks, or pencils). Your child should hold one stick in each hand and tap them together for each syllable in a word.

Stomp syllables: Have a child that likes to get up and move? Have them stomp the ground for each syllable they say in a word.

Hum syllables: Have your child hum the word and count the distinct 'hums' they make while saying the word. Since vowel sounds are the sounds that can be sustained, they are the sounds that get emphasized when we hum. As such, humming a word facilitates counting its syllables. Try humming the word "elephant" and see how you make three distinct bursts of humming sounds while you do.

Talk like a robot: Have your child pretend to be a robot that talks in a very stiff, stilted way. Have your children "speak robot" while saying words, counting the syllables as they do.

Mark syllables on paper: Place a piece of paper on the table, and hand your child a marker. Have your child say a word, and encourage your child to press the marker to the paper each time they hear a syllable. At the end, your child can count how many marks they made on the paper. (Worksheets to support this strategy are included in my Syllable Counting Activity Pack.)

Count jaw drops: Each syllable has one vowel sound, and the mouth must open to say the vowel sound. As such, your child can count the number of syllables in a spoken word by placing their hand under their chin and feeling the number of times the jaw drops open.

Tools for practicing syllable counting

I have created a Syllable Counting Activity Pack chock full of fun, simple, and hands-on ways for children to learn and practice syllable counting skills.

Three pages of syllable background information for the educator: All of the information in this post in a print-friendly format you can access at anytime.

Word cards for 1, 2, 3, and 4 syllable words: These word cards can be used along with several other materials in the Syllable Counting Activity Pack to provide children with diverse opportunities to practice counting syllables.

Syllable counting strategy cards for playing games: Print the strategy cards and place them into a differentiated instruction cube. Have your child roll the cube and then count the syllables in a word using the strategy rolled. If you don't have a differentiated instruction cube your child can simply select a strategy card from a pile.