Chapter 8 - Solidarity Freeing From Solitude

One Month Later...

As I wake up, I can't help but think of the memories that filled my mind, and my thoughts return to my moment with Nico, the fallen snow surrounding us. Our embrace, and the way my life feels so much happier now. I can feel my heart is filled with so much more hope today, and while there's nothing I'd want more, I could definitely go for not having a cold today. Yesterday while taking care of the garbage, something I had bought, planning to give it to Nico, had accidentally been dropped, and since I hadn't bothered with a coat or anything, I've ended up with a cold from my time trying to find it. Thankfully things should warm up in a month or so just in time for graduation, but for the moment at least I definitely could've gone for a better situation.

As I get out of bed, still in my pajamas, I decide to try and put at least something together to eat so I'm not on an empty stomach. My legs feel weak, like they're gonna give out under me, but as they aren't actually going to, I gotta just put up with it and move forward. Until my mom gets home at 5pm, it's just me, and I'm used to taking care of myself.

I get to the kitchen and start to work on making myself some porridge to get by at least when I hear a knock on the door. After heading to the door, I then opened it saying "Yeah? Oh, hey Nico, I guess school is out, huh?."

As I looked at the girl in front of me, she was holding a grocery bag in her hand, and she stepped forward to feel my forehead with her free hand. As she did, she said "You're burning up Y/n, you should lay down."

I tried to give her a wry grin and said "I've been sleeping all day, I may not be a super active person, but I'm gonna go nuts if I don't do something."

Nico shook her head and said "Come on, you aren't going to get better if you don't rest, so just leave things to your adorable girlfriend. Have you had anything to eat yet?"

"I was actually doing that when you arrived." I said "I was just putting together some rice porridge"

"You sit down, and I'll take care of it, alright?" Nico said

"Right, thanks Nico." I said, heading over to the couch. I'd rather not spend the whole day in my room after all.

As I sat down, I saw Nico head towards the kitchen, and as I got comfortable, I heard Nico say from the other room "Y/n, you said you were making rice porridge, right?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked

"Because you didn't pull out any rice." Nico said

—---------------------------------------

Eventually she finished putting together the porridge, and as she brought it to me, she said "You know, I wish you hadn't pushed yourself and just rested."

She sat down on a chair nearby, something I insisted on since I don't want to get her to catch this from me and before I took a bite, I said "I just really hate feeling like I'm useless or that I'm holding others back by them needing to care for me."

"You say that, but with how airheaded you can be sometimes, I do have to take care of you some." Nico said, pointing out that I should probably clean my mouth some.

"Ah, sorry..." I said, feeling a pang of guilt. I'm not causing her any problems am I?

"It's fine Y/n, I'm more than happy to help you whenever since I know you'd do the same for me" Nico said before she mumbled "Besides, I kinda like that side of you..." I don't think I was supposed to hear that part, so I'm gonna refrain from commenting, but it could be kinda fun to tease her about it eventually.

"So anyways, how was your practice with Muse today?" I asked

"Didn't you notice the time I got here? I didn't go today so I could take care of you." Nico said

"You did? Thanks Nico." I said, smiling a little

"I couldn't just leave you be, Y/n." Nico said before puffing her chest as she said "You're so lucky you know. After all, you have one of the greatest idols in the world as your loving girlfriend."

I gave her a smile and said "Indeed I am. Give me a sec."

I put my empty bowl on the coffee table before I got up and started to head to my room, planning to just grab what I'm looking for out of my nightstand. It didn't take me longer than a moment to find what I was looking for, and as I came back to the living room, and as I passed Nico to head for the couch, I handed Nico a box and said "I saw this, and thought that it'd be kind of nice to know you had something from me, so here. I dunno if you'll like it, but it's something."

Nico opened the box and revealed inside was a simple silver necklace with a heart pendant hanging from it. As Nico held it, she smiled and said "Thank you so much Y/n, I love it. I'll treasure it."

I couldn't help but feel relieved to know she liked it. I didn't know if it was any good or anything so I'm not too knowledgeable about fashion, but I thought it'd look good on her at the very least.

The two of us talked for a bit longer before Nico checked the time and said "I need to get going so I can start dinner for my siblings. Rest up so I can see you at school tomorrow, alright?"

"Right, I'll see you then." I said

Nico got up and gave me a kiss on the forehead before she said "See you tomorrow Y/n. I love you."

"Love you too Nico." I said, smiling as she left.

After she left, it was just me again until my Mom got home an hour later. However, rather than wallow in my discomfort, I ended up deciding to head to sleep, heading to dreams of tomorrow with Nico.