XXV. FAIR GAME

XXV.

F A I R  G A M E

—aka, stockholm syndrome? never heard of her

INT— A BOUTIQUE.

PARIS, FRANCE — AFTERNOON.

SCENE II.

I LIKE THE way Natasha Kim shops.

Designated boutiques prepare for her arrival in advance, a person, someone who knew her, a manager or someone higher up, would welcome her with full smiles and an almost arrogant flaunting.

"Welcome Madame Natasha, the items you asked are prepared. Which wine will it be today?"

And so on.

I followed when she asked, copied movement and mannerisms when I had to not to look like a lost puppy. Louis, for all his court, knew how this song and dance well. He was at home, lounging on the chaise, a wine in hand, as everyone else, including that silent maid of Natasha, talked amongst themselves in French. Someone laughed.

"You look really at home here, huh?" I sat beside him, taking a piece out of the complimentary cheese platter. "Done this a lot with your past lovers?"

He laughs under his breath. "A bit. Mostly mama and Anna."

Anna. His younger sister. "How is she?"

"Doing well. She prefers Brittany to here though." He swirls his glass. "If this keeps up, mama is worried she might prefer country life all together and never come back."

I remember his sister. Never quite met her, tender age of sixteen and prone to rebelling, but from all his stories it seemed as if farm life suited her just fine. "It wouldn't be bad to have a sister who has a farm of her own. Think of all... the free eggs."

He laughs again, more genuine this time. "The face you're making. Is that all you know about farm life?"

"I know there are cows." When he laughed at my scowl, I sat straight. "I am sorry about that though."

"Hm?"

"Contacting you. Honest to god, if I didn't feel like I was in danger, I wouldn't have had."

"That... that breaks my heart." He looks at his wine glass. "You sound too callous for your own good."

I smiled without humour nor kindness. "I've always been callous. I just didn't want you to see me that way, even after I got back because I thought I needed you."