THEN

"Hi," she said, almost expectantly.

"Hey. Jacqueline, was it?" Dean said brightly, licking his lips.

"Actually, it's just Jay." She replied with a roll of her clear grey eyes. "You?"

"I'm Dean," he replied, chuckling, as he extended a hand. Jay shook it with a polite smile.

...

"Can I help you with something?" She asked, her cherry-red lips catching slightly on her crooked tooth.

"I'm new to the area," Dean explained with a sheepish shrug. "Just getting a feel. My brother and I are just passing through."

...

Dean glared dryly at him. "So, what've you got, college boy?"

"Well, so far I've found that all of the women who have been killed are widows. Husbands either died or abandoned them and vanished." Sam read out, squinting his eyes."And these attacks have been happening once every four years for the past fifty years... Uh, exactly fifty years that is... But not until now in 2004 have the police noticed a pattern."

...

"I'm Agent Johnson, this is Agent Young. We're from an agency that deals with post-divorce practicals," Sam explained. "We understand you were legally divorced a couple of days ago?"

"Yeah, that's right." She confirmed. She suddenly gestured over her shoulder with her free hand. "One of your agents is actually here already."

...

It took Dean a moment to recognize her, as her hair was styled so simply and her makeup was so different: she wore only mascara, light eyeshadow and a sophisticated plum-colored lipstick, but when she smiled, flashing him that one crooked tooth, he knew it couldn't have been anyone else.

It was Jay.

...

"Just... Who is she?" He said, looking over at his brother. He let out a dry laugh, "divorce agent by day, blues rocker by night, I mean the two profiles don't exactly add up."

"She's a hunter, Sam," Dean burst out, looking incredulously at his brother before returning his eyes to the road.

...

Jay smirked, and after a pause and another sip of beer, stated, "Alright, Q&A aside, you two need my help. I know what we're hunting, and I know how to kill it."

...

But they hadn't killed the Pontianak - they'd released it from the hold that Helen had on it. And it was probably pissed. And probably coming after them. Now.

...

The warm room grew suddenly cold, the lights diminishing to a dull flickerOzzy let out a hiss, his lips curling back from his sharp teeth as he sprang to his feet and backed against the wall, his fur fluffing out defensively. Jay suppressed her fear with a shudder, covering her mouth with one hand as the smell turned foul, rancid, like decay. A scream sounded in her ear, soft, as if faraway; but she could feel the icy breath on her skin as what felt like claws raked across her torso. Biting down on her tongue to refrain from crying out from the pain of it, Jay slashed out to the side, cutting across the neck of the spirit looming beside her. The Pontianak vanished with another chillingly distant shriek that grew in volume as she fled. Most likely to prey on the boys.

...

"Deborah's spirit is coming, we need to be ready to gank her!" the girl responded, ignoring his concern as she tossed him a nail. He caught it mid-air, dazed and open-mouthed.

"Wait, what?" He stammered. "But I thought it was over, I thought that we - " He broke off as he was choked by an overwhelming scent of flowers that turned quickly into a gag-inducing stench of rotting flesh. Sam came scrambling into the room as Deborah's spirit manifested behind Jay, and Dean exclaimed, "Look out!"

Without a question, Jay dove forward into a roll, popping back up facing the Pontianak as it instead lunged for Sam, tackling him to the ground and beginning to tear at the front of his coat.

"SAM!" Dean yelled, leaping over the bed to aid his brother as Jay expertly flung her knife towards the wrestling pair. The blade sliced through the side of Deborah's head, then embedded itself in the wall with a harsh thud as the spirit disappeared a second time.

...

The Pontianak materialized in front of Jay, her face twisted with rage, her one hand tinged with blood. Scrabbling away from her, Jay screamed, "Now! And don't miss!" Her eyes squeezed shut as her back collided with the wall. Fiery pain slashed across her belly once more, then suddenly Dean let out a shout of effort. The soft scream rose to piercing, deafening screech, then abruptly stopped.

...

"Is it actually over?" Sam queried hopefully. Jay nodded breathlessly, her smile turning reassuring as she met Sam's eyes.

"You bet it is, Sam. For real this time."

...

Turning back to face Jay, Dean leaned in her window again and retorted, "so, when am I gonna get that drink?"

"Maybe when you're older," she retaliated, grinning triumphantly when his face fell slightly. "But hey, you've got my number. I suppose you can call the shots on that one. Until then, ciao!" But just before she rolled up the window, Jay called out, "I hope to see you 'round, kid!"

He smiled to himself, letting out a brief chuckle. Jay-not-Jacqueline Kingsleigh in her cherry-red El Camino with her guard-cat Ozzy.

...

"You did good the last few days." He commented, shooting his brother a sideways glance. Sam looked up in surprise, his face not exactly brightening.

"Uh, thanks, Dean." he replied hesitantly.

"No, I mean it, man." Dean assured him. "Are you sure you don't want to stay?"

"Yeah, Dean." He muttered darkly. "I'm sure."