Chapter 1

I opened my eyes and looked around the street. I couldn't remember what I was just thinking about a moment ago. After I got me bearings, I began to walk forward, headed back home.  I waved at the neighbors as I walked up the drive toward my front door. I needed to begin packing for the big move that was coming up. I decided recently that moving is my next step. I need a new start in my life. I don't know where I am going, but I know I need to get out of New York. I called my 'mother' as I pulled clothes from my drawers and threw them in boxes to let her know about the move. I was adopted in the past year, and my adoptive 'parents' give me free rein. They told me that I need to let them know whenever I decide to go somewhere else so they always know where I am. They come visit about once a month to make sure everything is okay and I am safe. They were a really kind couple. They believe it is important for me, and the other kids they adopt, to be able to experience the world as we feel. They think the best lessons learned are the ones you learn yourself. Their only conditions are that I go to school and have a job. They told me they will revoke my privileges to be on my own if I don't follow those two expectations.

"Hey Lili," I said as she picks up the phone

"Hello Maya!" she exclaimed, "it's been a while since I've heard from you!"

I frowned. I was pretty sure I called her only yesterday, but shook my head. She must have just forgotten. "I'm just calling to tell you I'm moving out."

"Alright sweetie. Where are you headed?"

I paused, I hadn't thought that far yet. "I don't know yet. I'll let you know when I find out though."

"As long as you get there in time to enroll in school," she reminded me sternly.

"I know," I sighed.

"Cheer up, you only have two more years of school left, then you don't have to worry about it anymore."

I chatted with her a bit longer and said my goodbyes before I returned to my packing. I was going to head out first thing in the morning, and wanted everything to be packed in the car by tonight. I'm not sure why I was in such a rush, but I felt like I needed to get out of there as soon as possible.

~~~~~

I squinted through the rain as I drove, I wasn't sure exactly where I was and I couldn't see anything through the downpour. I had lost signal a ways back, and it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. All that I had seen for miles was trees. I noticed lights up ahead, and relief spread through me. I could finally stop and wait out the storm. I noticed a sign off to my right and squinted, trying to read it through the pouring rain.

Mystic Falls

 I grinned, glad I had finally reached a town. I looked forward again and screamed as I saw someone standing in the middle of the road. I swerved to avoid them, dodged the sign and the car crunched as it smashed into a tree. I hit my head on the wheel as I was thrown forward. I groaned and looked out the window to see the person who had been in the road walking towards me. I got out of the car shakily.

"Are you alright?" I called to the figure.

"Are you?" he asked in response, "you're the one who just hit a tree."

I groaned, glancing at the front of my car to see the entire front end smashed against the tree. There was no way I would get it to start after this. I turned back around to find the man only a couple feet from me.

"I-I should be fine," I replied, a little startled by how he got so close that fast. I pushed my now wet hair back from my face.

"You should look where you're going," the man said and I looked at him incredulously.