Part 8

Half an hour after leaving the bridge, the couple were sitting on opposite ends of the sofa in Ashton's living room, unsure of how to proceed after their kiss.

"Screw it," muttered the young man, reaching out and pulling the young woman onto his lap, smiling when she went willingly. "Much better," he murmured, hiding his face in her hair and pressing a kiss to her head.

"Does this mean we're going to try this?" asked Bethany hesitantly, unsure of what he wanted from her.

"I suppose I should do this properly," he agreed, pushing her away slightly to look at her. "Will you be my girlfriend, Bethany?"

"Yes," she whispered, smiling when he grinned at her.

"I don't remember the last time you smiled like that," he admitted, tucking her hair behind her ear. "You should do it more often."

"I don't remember the last time I was this happy," confessed the older woman, resting her head on his shoulder. "Can I stay tonight?"

"Of course, love," replied Ashton, absentmindedly caressing her back. "I'll sleep down here."

"I'd rather you stayed with me," she mumbled, unable to recall a night that she had felt as safe as she had the one she had spent in his arms. "Unless you'd prefer to sleep down here, I mean-"

 "I can't deny you anything, angel," he told her with a smile. "What do you think about getting ready for bed and watching a film?"

"I think that sounds perfect," replied the brunette, clutching at his shoulders when he stood up with her in his arms and carried her up the stairs. "You're never gonna warn me about that, are you?"

"Maybe I like you clinging to me for dear life," he teased as he nudged his bedroom door open with his foot. "It's nice to feel needed. And I like having you in my arms."

"I like being in them," she admitted shyly as he set her down on the bed. "Why do you think I've been spending so much time with you since the break up? You make me feel safe."

"You are safe with me," he murmured, cupping her cheek and kissing her softly. "Are your things in Michael's room, or d'you need to borrow some?"

"I'd rather not search his room," replied Bethany, looking up at him. "I'll probably end up scarred for life if I do. Do you mind if I borrow some of your clothes?"

"Of course not," he said, going to his chest of drawers to find something for her, coming up with a pair of boxers and a t-shirt. "Is this alright?"

Her only response was to take the clothes and kiss his cheek, telling him not to look whilst she changed. Ashton took the time to change into his pyjama trousers and remove the t-shirt he had been wearing, inhaling sharply when his now girlfriend snaked her arms around him from behind.

"Do we have to watch a film?" she asked, her voice muffled in his back.

"We can do whatever you want, angel," he replied, turning so he could wrap his arms around her as well, smirking when he realised she had switched the shirts so that she was wearing the one he had removed less than a minute ago. "You look really good in my clothes," he told her, taking in the image before him.

"Thank you. I, um..." she started shyly, resting her head on his chest so he wouldn't see her blush, listening to his heartbeat. "I just want to cuddle," she admitted quietly.

"Fine by me," he agreed, lifting her into his arms and taking her back to the bed. "Hey!" he exclaimed when she hit his shoulder.

"Warn me and I won't hit you," she told him, lying down against the pillows.

"Never," he teased, climbing into the bed with her. "I never thought I'd get to do this again," he confessed once they were settled in each other's arms.

"All you have to do is ask, Ash," murmured the brunette, her head over his heart. "I'll probably be here most nights anyway."

"You're never leaving this bed, angel," he told her, only half joking, tightening his arms around her to pull her closer.

"Why do you call me angel?" she asked softly, glancing up at him.

"Because God blessed me when you came into my life," he whispered earnestly, running his fingers through her hair slowly. "You couldn't be anything less than an angel. I don't know what I did to deserve you, but I must've done something right. God gave me an angel to call mine."

"If Calum hears you saying that, he'll never let you live it down," replied Bethany.

"Don't tell him then," he said with a smile, still combing her hair.

"I love you, you know," she breathed, leaning into his touch and closing her eyes.

"I love you too," he murmured, kissing her sweetly as he pulled her closer. "Sweet dreams, angel," he whispered, caressing her back to help calm her and help her fall asleep in his arms.