XVIII

18-THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

"Hey! Wake up! Wake up!" A hoarse  voice exclaimed patting the two girls.

Nandi was sound asleep without a care in the world, slightly drooling.
A bright light shone before their eyes and the two girls groaned. Somehow Amahle found herself at the edge of the sponge, close to the ground. She had a banging headache that needed serious attention and an incomplete poetry essay she was clueless about. This sleeping for three hours was not ideally how she imagined her first camp to be.

"Nandi and her karate moves at night." Amahle thought and rubbed her face in frustration.

Nandi covered her whole face with the blanket, frustrated for the same reasons as Amahle. Amahle awoke from her slumber and crouched before her and gently shook her body.

"Wake up sleepy head." Amahle said and cleared her throat once she realised how manly she sounded.

Nandi groaned and aggressively removed the blanket off her face. They made up the bed together and Nandi took her stuff and took off to the bathroom. Amahle and Nandi were tired of the food from the camp so they opted to order something for lunch. Amahle searched for her purse to see how much she had, making sure the money was enough.

After a few minutes of searching for her purse, she cracked her head trying to recall where she had placed it. Fortunately she remembered it was in Nandi's bag, the one she took off with. She remained calm and awaited Nandi's return. Once Nandi got back she went straight to the bag in search for the purse. There was an arm full of money there and most was not even hers. She was the treasurer of stokfel hence she held everyone's money.

She pulled out every single sign of clothing and toiletries like a mad cow but there was no sign of her purse. Her heart dropped to the pit of her stomach and her throat ran dry.

"Na-ndi have-have you seen my purse?" Amahle stuttered with her back facing Nandi, praying and hoping she placed it somewhere safe.

As far as she could recall it was in that same bag.

"It was in the bag mos." Nandi said with eyebrows furrowed.

Nandi rushed towards the bag and emptied it but she only found her own purse. Amahle's lower lip trembled and a minor migraine hit her.

"Nah Nah, it must be here somewhere." Nandi said and roughly turned the bed upside down.

Amahle paced up and down distraughted. Students began staring at her questionably. Teachers included. Nandi swore she saw
that purse in her bag. Tears began to well up in her eyes and her vision was blurred.

"Amahle what's going on?" The history teacher asked.

******************

"Seven hundred bucks dude??" Pamela asked and placed her arms on her head in defeat.

She too was part of the stokfel.

"I've sulked enough today, right now I need solutions." Amahle spoke and rubbed her face in frustration.

Pamela stared at her more terrified for her than shocked. Pamela's money was also stolen somehow. After Amahle's revelation of the stolen money, more students voiced out that their money was stolen too. But Amahle was overall the person with the highest amount of money stolen and nothing was done about it.

"Sabelo suggested you file a case at the police." Pamela added.

Sabelo was their security guard.

"If that bloody thief has not squandered the money yet. Or better yet split it with all her partners." Amahle huffed.