Abnormal

My mum says I'm normal, but there's no way I am. All the kids at school aren't like me. My friends have no idea, even my best friend doesn't know. In fact, nobody knows about it except for my mum. I hide it from everyone, who knows what they'd do if they ever were to find out. Yeah I'd be famous, but most people wouldn't understand me. I'm different, people are afraid of different. I am unique, they're all the same and yet I need to wear the mask, I need to hide to protect myself. I didn't mean to have this, it's really not my fault.

I first noticed it 7 years ago when I was 9 years old. I came third in a drawing competition. I was so excited. So many people entered all over the country, I was feeling the best I've ever felt before. I was dancing in the kitchen while mum was cooking a roast for dinner and I started lifting the cookie jar and I dropped it at a small height. Sure this sounds normal but I didn't even touch the cookie jar, I moved it with my mind. I stared at it in confusion, "Mum! Did you see that? Can you do that? Mum. Hey mum! Did you see it?" I asked.

"What's that, sweetie?" Mum muttered.

"Can you move things with your mind?" I repeated.

"No dear," she giggled, "Can you?"

"I did it! I did it just then!" I explained.

"Really dear? Can you show me how you do it?" I then placed my toy on the kitchen bench and stared into its deep brown eyes until at last it's arm lifted up.

"See mum! Did you see it move?" Mum was so terrified. She tried not to show it but her face couldn't hold it back. I started crying, I was scared too. From that moment, I knew I wasn't an ordinary 9 year old girl. My mum comforted me and calmed me down, "It's okay, just don't show anyone, alright?"

I've never shown anyone since then and my mum probably doesn't even remember it. I'm now 16 years old and I still have the power but I've learnt how to control it. I used to practice every night until I understood what I was actually doing. I've taught myself to be calm so I can use my power easier. I have to meditate before hand or be ridiculously happy or excited but it's harder to control it then.

They call it 'telekinesis', but I believe that's only for in the movies. I prefer to call it, 'Conzenmind'.