Tears Don't Mean We're Weak

I thought the knowledge of being rescued meant everything would go uphill from here, but it was quite the opposite.

I don't know how long it's been since that signal went out, but during that time we've had no luck finding a place for shelter.

Everyone sat below a tree, waiting as Dauis kept watch from above. Kenji threw rocks against a tree, boredom catching on. Irritated Yasmina caught one of the rocks.

Kenji dropped the rock he was holding, surprised Yasmina caught it. Darius climbed down from the tree, panting for air.

"Good news?" Sammy asked.

"The pteranodons are nesting on the eastern mountains, so that's out." He said.

"Ugh!" Sammy rolled her eyes, looking inside her tote as she pulled out the map as everyone gathers around it. "Bad news."

"So, we can't stay on Main Street because of dinosaurs. The mountains, grasslands, and jungle are out because of dinosaurs." Brooklynn groaned.

"And Kenji's penthouse is out because he's bad at math." Yasmina pointed at the map.

"I didn't think my dad was serious about changing the locks if I failed algebra. That is not my fault." He held his hands up.

"That's actually completely your fault." She commented.

"Okay, well, whatever. The whole island is full of dinosaurs. We're cooked." He crossed his arms.

"We can't give up yet. We set off the emergency beacon." Sammy reminded us. "We need to find somewhere safe to hole up until rescue arrives. "

"Where? It's been days." Yasmina asked. "We're out of options."

"Actually, there's one place we haven't tried, but I'm not sure you're gonna like it." Darius looked at us.

.·:*¨༺🦖༻¨*:·.

Of all places Darius could have taken us, he took us to the place where it all started. The camp.

"Are you serious?" Kenji stared in disbelief.

"I thought we left here, specifically because we almost died," I said.

"Just hear me out." Darius held his hands up. "There's a stream for fresh water. We've got trees and mountains to protect us from weather and dinosaur attacks."

Brooklynn cleared her throat, everyone staring at Darius not convinced. 

"Okay, not all dinosaur attacks. But if you were coming to rescue a bunch of campers, wouldn't camp be the first place you looked?" Darius continued, "And we've even got supplies to build a shelter right here. They're, uh, broken supplies, but we could do it! Right, Brooklynn?"

"What?" She asked.

"I mean, you must've made one video about building a shelter, right?" He looked at her hopeful.

"Right. All you do is videos." Kenji said.

"Excuse me, I do lots of things other than videos. I have a whole life of other things! But, yes, okay, I did help raise that barn for Unboxing Amish Country. Just saying."

"Knew it."

"Oh, I love that one!"

"There you go."

"What are we waiting for? Let's clear that stuff!" Yasmina said determinedly. She limbed toward the pile grunting, staring to look through the rubble.

"Hey, Yaz, maybe it's best if you sat this one out?" Darius tried to reason. 

"What? No, I'm totally--Whoa!" Yasmina tripped backward, falling to the ground. Everyone quickly surrounded Yasmina.