Monday Morning (Part 2)

*Note* I'll be going through previous parts of the book soon for more editing. Just reread the material and realized I haved a lot of typos...:/ Anyways enjoy.

(The photo is Rico[on the left] and Tre[on the right])

-

Chapter 10: Monday Morning (Part 2) | Later That Day...

Rico's POV

Forcing myself not to think about it too much, I finish up in the office in less than four hours leaving out a little after 6pm going to Kamele's spot.

It's good to have her back around all the time like when we were kids. I missed her. Our parents were friends before we were even born so we've known each other since birth basically. We were born two weeks apart in July. I swear our moms planned that shit. Nasty asses probably trapped our pops. It's all good though.

My mom used to force me to take her to all the school dances when we were in elementary school. Our moms would dress us in matching colors and take us on play dates. But that stopped when I got my first girlfriend in the sixth grade. Nia wasn't going for that shit. We were young acting grown. Saying we loved each other before we even knew the meaning... I laugh at the memories.

As kids, we had a lot of good times. We've always been close. We fell off bad after high school when she left. I feel like I should've been there for her through all those years but I wasn't and I'm making up for it now.

We stayed in contact over the phone and saw each other a few times throughout college. Usually I'd drive out to see her. Meet up for lunch or something - nothing too crazy.

But after graduation we lost communication until she popped up last month. Treshaun used to ask about her but I always denied that I knew anything about where she was or how she was. .... It wasn't completely a lie though. The first year of her leaving, I actually didn't know where she was. She never contacted me...

That's my best friend. That's more like a brother to me and I hated lying to him, but she made me promise I wouldn't. I knew if I did tell him, she'd cut me off too... At the time, she didn't and I guess still don't want anything to do with him. I guess it's understandable but selfish on her part as well. She's not the only one affected by this bullshit.

"What's up baby girl?" I say when she opens the door going in for a hug.

"Hey fat head." She says hugging me back.

"You hungry? The food will be done soon."

"What you cook?" I say taking my jacket and shoes off at the door.

Creature of habit - Tre got me doing this.

"I'll take your jacket." She says taking it to the closet on the other side of the room.

"I'm making something quick. Fried chicken and macaroni. Keeping it simple tonight."

"Oh shit. You throwing down. Finally learned how to cook. The chicken better not be bloody when I bite into it. I'll throw up all over the floor on purpose and I'm not cleaning it up." I say jokingly with a straight face as she starts walking towards me.