Chapter 10

Sara used the last of her strength to pull herself on top of the 12-foot chain link fence bordering the preserve. All the skills she experienced at the license center had not transferred to everyday life, leaving her fingers incredibly sore from grabbing the thin metal links. She rested at the top, ignoring the pinching from the links that poked above the bar. The moon illuminated shadows, giving the surrounding trees an ominous look. Her sense told her no person was near, but that didn't mean a wolf or bear couldn't be on the prowl. Sara untied her bag of worldly possessions from her belt loop and let it drop to the ground on the Queensland side. She tried to build a mental picture of how to climb down without falling or ripping her fingers from her hands. For the first time in her life, she regretted not paying better attention in gym class. At the time, that damned rope was the enemy - now she saw it as a teacher foolishly ignored. 'It was only a short drop, one story at most,' she told herself, though broken bones were all her mind could foresee.

A rustling in the trees sent fear flashing through Sara. The idea of some monstrous beast quickly dissipated when the fence began to sway, forcing her to grab on in panic. It wasn't isolated to her metal-weaved section nor any one tree. The world was moving, and with it came a low rumble that began to increase in intensity. Sara knew her grip wouldn't last since the waves traveling through the fence were without pattern or patience. She rolled her body toward her bag and fell feet first on the unforgiving ground like a bean bag doll. Her thoughts of rolling were replaced by surviving when the dirt arrived far sooner than she expected.

Sara's chin hit her knee, and the world threw her back into the fence. She bounced and was thrown into the sparse foliage between the trees. Covering her head, she cringed while imagining every tree collapsing down on her as the world continued to shake. Standing would be impossible, and she had no idea where to crawl. It wasn't the first quake she had experienced, but it was the worst. There were no doorways, heavy tables, or bathtubs to hide in. The only open field she knew of was on the other side of the fence. She curled up into a smaller target and cursed her new life. Anger supplanted fear as she swore she'd burn any branch that touched her. It was hard to ignore the sounds of the old and weak wood dying, snapping as they shook off their host. She dared them to hit her. Perhaps if it was quick enough, it could all be over, and she wouldn't have to worry about tomorrow.

Instead, the land relented and settled as if nothing had happened. Sara waited for ten deep breaths, sure that an aftershock was imminent. The other quake she had witnessed was barely strong enough to shake loose things off shelves. This one was far stronger, lasting what seemed to be a minute or two. Whatever curse had befallen her life, it was doubling down. One calamity after another, piling on as if she had a target on her back.

"Go ahead," Sara whispered to the world as she pushed herself to her feet. "Throw everything at me." She retrieved her bag and began walking through the trees away from the border and deeper into the preserve. "Going to have to kill me," she continued talking to herself, "because It's the only way you're stopping me." She was tired of being afraid and decided to replace it with determination salted with fury.

The going was slow since Sara wasn't on any path. A steady plod following the Antillain star, the brightest one in the east. Randy would appreciate her knowledge of it, she thought. Up and over fallen trees, she hopped over the tiny sliver-creeks while staying within the trees. She thought it best not to trust her sense fully and let the foliage provide visual cover.

The man in the suit at the first checkpoint made Sara cautious. If there was one, there were probably others who couldn't be sensed. Maybe the suit he wore had some of the blocking metal in it. But that couldn't be right; Bob would have told her if the man's face wasn't exposed. Even when the metal in the cage blocked, she could still assemble something. Bob did mention that the suit looked expensive, but not a word about heavy or bulky. Worse, what if he had some kind of jamming device? A hundred people could sneak up on her if they couldn't be sensed.