Chapter 20

"The image was rated 17.3 percent positive for Sara Tyler," Sebastian stated, its AI voice failing to add any of the shame Corleon thought it should. Sara Tyler's image was onscreen crossing an intersection dressed in a pizza delivery costume. Her hair was tucked under the cap, and sunglasses covered her eyes.

"She simply changed clothes, and you downgraded the image?" Corleon asked, his voice defining his growing anger.

"At the time of occurrence, many other images were rated higher," Sebastian replied. "The ranking is highly dependent upon the environment. 1,246 possible sightings outweighed the image onscreen, adjusting the baseline."

"And what about now?" Corleon asked sarcastically. He knew it was a waste of time to poke at the AI, but it fit his mood.

"The image is rated at 97.6 percent positive for Sara Tyler."

Corleon threw up his hands and groaned. The in-country search continued, but all evidence indicated she was aboard the Parrington ship. The initial failures would have been humorous if they had caught the girl before she left Aragonia. He shook his head.

"These other images, the ones ranked higher, why were they preferable?"

"Similar in style and height," Sebastian replied. "All within velocity check of the incident at the license center. Physical assets were deployed in order of rank."

"Theroize," Corleon ordered. "Was there a concerted effort to thwart the detection of Sara Tyler?"

"88.4 percent positive for interference. It was decentralized and held entertainment value with the populace. Communication censorship was not deployed until the following day."

"Entertainment?"

"It appealed to the under-30 demographic. Many continue to view the license center video repeatedly. The words exciting, strong, and rebel-swank were used most often."

"Rebel-swank?"

"Popular vernacular used interchangeably for Sara Tyler's clothing style and, or actions."

Corleon paced along the large windows, his eyes looking across the ocean yet not really seeing anything. Removing the license center video from the web was his first thought. The idea was ditched quickly. Taking something desirable away usually produces the opposite of the desired effect when applied to the masses. Sara Tyler needed to be a villain, not someone admired.

"The ranger who was killed, has his image been broadcast?"

"Yes. An image of him in uniform while receiving an award for conservation is being used."

"Get Breason on the line," Corleon ordered. It would be best if Miss Tyler were not so well-liked. The young were impressionable and always pushed back against the tide. They failed to see the inevitability of life in Aragonia, knowledge that would grow given enough years. Change is supplied, not won. Paths are not chosen; they are assigned. It is how things had to be if the status quo is to be maintained - even if the people had no idea what was being preserved.

Breason's bald head appeared on the screen. Corleon was one of the few who knew it was shaved and not alopecia from before his first re-birth. Breason used it to great effect with his long line of daughters, who seemed to find great joy in shaving it. "Sir," he said with a nod. "I have heard Miss Tyler may have escaped us."

Corleon nodded. "It seems unexpected assistance has been provided. We're pursuing other avenues now that she has left our shores."

"Shame," Breason said.

"I'm calling because I have become aware of some...affection...growing for Miss Tyler in the populace. Perhaps our pushing of the license center video was not the proper tactic."