Down The Stairs.

A young boy hears his mother call his name from downstairs, so he gets up and starts to head down.
As he gets to the top of the stairs, his mother pulls him backs and whispers, "Don't go, I hear it too."

Down the Stairs.

"Liam, I made you breakfast!"

Liam got out of bed and stretched. It was still dark outside but Liam didn't think much of it. He wrapped himself in his blanket and walked towards his door.

"Liam!! I made breakfast!"

Liam yawned and headed out his door. He went into the bathroom and brushed his teeth, not bothering to check the time on his watch.

"Liam!! Breakfast!"

Busy brushing his teeth, Liam rolled his eyes. He was getting annoyed at the constant nagging from his mom.
Liam spits out his toothpaste and walks sluggishly to the top of the staircase.

"Liam, I made you breakfast!"

As Liam was about to take his first step down the stairs, somebody grabbed his arm and covered his mouth. He turned to see who it was, and to his shock, it was his mom. She looked at him in a panic and whispered,

"Don't go, I hear it too.."

Liam turned back to look at the stairs and took a short shaky breath. He looked back at his mom and whispered in response,

"If you're up here, then, whose down there?"

Liam and his mom both looked at the stairs and backed up into the closest slowly.

"LIAM!! I MADE BREAKFAST!"

Liam started to tear up, and his mom held him close to her. She hugged him tightly and started to rock him back and forth. She looked around and saw a gun. Liam's mom looked directly at him and quietly mumbled,

"Stay here, don't make any noise."

Liam looked at the closet door and shook his head. He begged her not to go, but she opened the door and ran out. Liam stayed in the closet, as told to do. He hid behind a shelf, and crossed his fingers. After a few minutes of nothing but wood creaking, Liam heard a shot go off and screams.

He covered his ears and started to shake. Was it safe to go out now? He had heard a shot, so he assumed his mother had shot the intruder. Liam reached for the door handle, until he heard a horrifying sound.

"Liam, I made you breakfast."