Chapter 7

~Three Weeks Ago~

"How is the wound?"

"It's healing."

"That's good."

Alexander was moving around much easier than the first week of him being at your house. You knew more than anything he felt like he needed to be up and moving. He was what one would call a terrible patient.

"This war, have you been a part of it?"

His question makes you shift. Alexander marks you carefully. He'd been very careful about his line of questioning.

"No more than anyone else."

"That's rather vague."

That's the point.

"Why do you care so much about what I have or haven't done?"

He leaned against the wall.

"I'm just curious, not much that I can do but make friendly banter."

There's nothing friendly about this. He's gathering information.

"Just because I'm not a cop or an assassin, it doesn't mean I'm stupid." You move over to him. You're standing right in front of him, and he straightens on the wall.

"I killed thousands."

He makes a move, and you grab his wrist, keeping him pinned to the wall. There's a brief look of fear in those eyes.

"I've been fighting these wars far longer than you think. Every little scuffle that has risen, I've been a part of. Black Claw, Tamer's Rebellion, that childish little attempt those wesen started with the bank robberies. I knew the council was the one to put those two down. In a way I was grateful, because if I had to run across the country to eradicate the problem, I would have. "

You let go of his hand, and his eyes search yours.

"I told you, I don't enjoy this. Doesn't mean I won't do what I have to. Wesen or not, anything that threatens humanity is a threat to me. I'll do whatever's necessary to end it."

Alexander swallows. A part of him is lucky that he'd met Nick instead of you first. Had you been the one who they sent that hit on, he's positive he would not be breathing right now.

"Are you afraid of me?"

Your words are almost taunting, like you're challenging him.

"I'm not."

"You should be."

This time, it doesn't sound like a threat, more like a warning. There isn't a hint of anger in your eyes either. What he sees reflected back at him is pain.

You step away, grabbing a drink.

"Don't over exert yourself, I'm getting tired hiding bloody bandages in my trash."

That's all you say as you exit the room.

~Present~

"Here you go. It should help with sleep."

"Thanks Rosalee." 

You take the spices, and she smiles.

"Is something wrong, you look a lot more worn out than usual."

"It's work and some other things." You mumble. She nods.

"Well I hope you get some rest."

"So do I. Thanks again."

You pocket your change, and you walk out with a wave. As you're stepping out the door, you head straight for your car, completely obvious to the pair of eyes watching you from a distance.