14. (Sarai/Tynan)

"Just... give him a chance. He didn't chose this. He tried to run away from it, a lot. Why do you think he left so many times? Because he was afraid. Of what he felt for you. Of what he thought you'd think of him. Of if you'd leave when he told you. But most of all, I think he was afraid of what effect he'd have on you, being around you. He wanted you to have a normal chance at life."

"Then why'd he come back?" I spat and one side of his mouth pulled to the side. Orion was clearly a man Xathieur was close with, confided in.

"He couldn't stay away." He said and I sighed, thinking about how awful and depressed I became every time he left me. "And there's one more thing." He said and I nodded, trying to keep an open mind. "Everyone in the world is meant to have a soulmate. Nobody wants to live or die alone. That and procreation. So there's one person specifically made for everyone. He never thought he'd have one cause he's the devil. But that's why you can see him, even when he doesn't want you too. Because he's your soulmate. And you're his."

"Sorry, let's go." Xathieur said as he climbed back into the car. I swallowed, the car now silent after Orion dropped a nuclear bomb on me. Not only had the devil been sneaking into my room for I don't even know how long, but somewhere along the way, we became something more. And now I find out, the devil is my soulmate.

I thought on what Orion had said, about the time I myself had spent with him. I thought about and looked back on what time we'd known each other and what I'd learned.

I still didn't know why we were on the run, but I do know one thing. Xathieur did not kill that man. He wasn't a violent guy. He just wasn't. He could get a bit riled up, especially around other guys. He was definitely a bit possessive and a bit of a jealous guy. But that didn't make him violent, unless it was Isaiah, but that man-scratch that, boy could make the most peaceful person violent.

And unlike Isaiah, Xathieur had never hurt me. In fact, he'd probably saved me more times than I can count, my sanity at the very least. I don't know what would've happen if that guy...

I just think I needed to give him a little more credit, let him make his own impression. Now, trust was different. He'd lied to me, made me think I was seeing things, dreaming things. And it was all real. Even that time he got so close to- but then he did, in real life.

Even thinking about that night made my cheeks burn hot. I had trusted him before. I'm sure I could do it again. After all, I've never felt more safe than when I was with him.

As he let out a breath and threw his arms back over the headrest, I took a leap and grabbed his hand. I felt him freeze for a second, before taking my hand in both of his. He turned just barely over his shoulder and a small smile was on his lips.

"So, while we're telling the truth," I said, whispering the next part. "And earning our trust back," I paused and he rolled his lips into his mouth, nodding slowly. I could see the regret written on his face.

"It's not his fault. Even as the devil, he has rules. Only let people see you if they are dying is one of them. We're not allowed to let humans know we exist. He couldn't tell you. Hell, he didn't even know why you could see him at first. I pieced it together." Orion said and I shook my head with a wave of my hand.

"That's fine, we've moved on from that. I just want to know what we're doing now. I get that you can't tell me where we're going, but I wanna know why?" I said and Xathieur sighed, squeezing my hand before turning to look back at me.

"Do you remember Ahriman, my brother?" He asked and I nodded quickly. He bit his lip like he was afraid to continue, afraid of my reaction. I pushed aside the part of me that wanted to bite it for him. "When he saw you with me, he knew you were human. And normally, he's pretty chill when he's not a dick. But you're not the only one who has a problem with my job. I've actually been blowing it off for a while. That guy that night, that you saw, that was me trying to appease him while I was with you. So he wouldn't come after you. But when you saw me, the way you looked at me..." he paused and now I was biting my lip. "I couldn't live knowing you thought of me like that. So I haven't gone back since then and he left me a message." He stopped and I sucked in a breath, my heart racing now.