Chapter 1

"It's just so intriguing," Tian thinks as he watches a crimson flush creep from the tips of Phupha's ears to the back of his neck, visibly tinting his honey-gold skin.

Phupha is not one to get shy. It's true, in the beginning, his flirting skills had been lacking, but as soon as Tian had started his stay in Phupha's room at the base after the arson at the school, they had exploded, throwing Tian's composure into a frenzy as the man had taken every opportunity to tease Tian.

Even after three years, when Tian returned to Pha Pun Dao, he had been the one feeling bashful when Phupha had taken him into his home and his arms, scolding any rangers who dared to try and tease them.

The way Phupha had confidently embraced their relationship had really reassured Tian. And with the passage of the last six months, he had gotten more comfortable in his role as the Chief's partner.

The inhabitants of the village had taken it in stride, welcoming Tian back with open arms, like he was any other child of theirs. They entrusted the care of their children's education and welfare to him while treating him with the respect due to the other half of their protector. So Tian had reveled in this new life, feeling now more at home than he ever had, and the initial embarrassment he felt about their relationship and how others may view it quickly disappeared.

Then, the unexpected happened. It had started innocuously enough one evening at Khama's house, where they had been invited for dinner. Tian had noticed some food on the side of Phupha's lip and had unconsciously reached over to wipe it off with some tissue. The older man grabbed his arm and reared back in surprise, hitting his head against the bamboo wall behind him.

Longtae had choked on the water he had been drinking, his mother had giggled, and Khama had just looked around, clearing his throat at the awkwardness that had descended. Phupha seemed to recover quickly, smiling and thanking Tian before taking the tissue to wipe his face.

At first, Tian had been a little confused and offended, but seeing Phupha unable to look anyone in the eyes for several minutes, and the rose blossoming softly on his cheeks, he kept quiet.

Since that night, it was like Tian had been introduced to a whole new side of his lover. He started to notice how the ranger chief, who could barely stop touching him when they were alone or in the company of his subordinates and Dr. Nam, kept his hands to himself whenever the villagers were around. How he stole kisses in the classroom only when the children were playing outside or distracted by some story Yod was telling them. And how tightly he had his hands clasped behind his back when Tian's father had finally come by to visit them.

This adorable, unexpected behavior had prodded at something inside of Tian. He felt his love for Phupha mix with a sense of mischief and bubble into an effervescent desire to lure out this part of his boyfriend over and over until his heart was satisfied. And this is what had spurred him on. What inspired his uncharacteristic actions, much to the amusement of those around them.