The Kindness of Strangers

"In New Orleans, bodies cannot be buried. Instead, in boxes above the ground, and the dead cluster together. When a man passes, his family tomb is cracked open. Old bones are shoved aside to make room for fresh remains. Bloodlines rot, entangled. The houses are that way, too. Layer upon layer of peeling paint, hiding little tragedies. Scorch marks from the fires. Waterlines on wallpaper. These are the tombs of the living, where we rot alongside memories of our dead. Crowed with people we have failed and those who have failed us, we are forced to struggle with those we love." Klaus's voice-over.

It is thundering at the compound and Klaus is standing upstairs on the balcony looking to see if Amanda is coming back.

"Every last exit is sealed." Elijah says behind Klaus. Klaus turns and walks half way over to him." If you're thinking about jumping, don't. I already tried it. I landed in the world's most pretentious wine cellar."

"You sorted it by vintage. You don't remember, do you? I thought Marcel was intent on retrieving your memories."

"He was. He failed. I still remember absolutely nothing, and Antoinette is dying." Elijah takes a step forward.

"Is she? Right. Yes. I'd forgotten."

"What the hell are we doing here? What is this place? This is dangerous, you and I here together."

"We're not actually here together, are we? Not physically, at least. It's called a Chambre de Chasse. It's a magical mental prison designed to remember our home. But don't worry. There's always a way you: a game or a riddle."

"How do we solve this riddle?"

"We don't do anything. We're square, you and I. You got Amanda killed, and Antoinette will die because of me. I would hate to upset that delicate balance. So I'm gonna find my wife and find a way out, and you're on your own." Klaus walks past Elijah. Klaus is walking down the stairs and he stops walking in front of the paintings. Amanda walks in and she looks at him. He looks at her and smiles. He takes a step forward and she disappears.

"Amanda? Amanda?" Klaus says." Show yourself! Please."

"Oh, Nik." Rebekah says as she walks in." Always so dramatic."

"Rebekah." She walks over and gives Klaus a hug. All of a sudden Kol appears not wearing a shirt.

"Bloody hell." Kol says. My least favorite recurring nightmare."

~~~~

"I was in Corsica, drowning my sorrows about Amanda, when I suddenly dropped." Rebekah says as she tries and pours a glass of champagne nothing comes out and she turns and looks at Klaus." What I wouldn't give to spend just a decade without being dragged into a godforsaken Chamber de Chasse."

"Suppose you were in a board meeting." Klaus says to Kol who walks in putting on a shirt.

"I was waiting for my wife to come home from work. Once again, ripped from complete contentment for.... this. Suppose I'll ask the obvious: piss off any witches lately?" Kol says to Klaus.

"Actually, my current enemies are a group of hatemongers who see myself and my children as abominations to the vampire race."

"The bigoted undead. That's new. They must have a witch- for- hire."

"A witch that spends enough time here to replicate every detail." Kol says as he shows Rebekah the green wine bottle." This is Elijah's prized Cheval Blanc."

"The culprit may be  closer to home." Freya says." A witch who knows the compound well and who doesn't trust you to stay away from Elijah." Freya walks down the stairs and walks over to them." Someone who would risk everything to save New Orleans from plagues."