Chapter 1: Enter: Shabriri

Joliette's P.O.V:

Mysteriously enough, when I woke up all my stuff was gone.

Hahh... why does this happen to me? Can't even sleep around here without getting mugged.

I stood up from the damp 'bedding' I laid in the previous night, and dusted off my somehow still beautiful dress. Although dirty, it's held up nicely.

I made my way to the crooked old floorboard that I hid my most important things to me.
Thank goodness they didn't find it, I thought to myself as I tightly held my necklace to my pounding chest.

It's still so hard acting brave. I can barely hold onto myself half the time, but if I don't hold on, I'll slip, and if I slip... I fall. I don't wanna fall, I've thought about it, but it's too late for that now.

My busted lamp lightly illuminated my frail body as it stood slumped over in the corner of the room. The sun still only slightly visible from the horizon, left a dark hue to the morning. "Time to go Timid." I spoke softly, letting the furry creature barely hear me. He knew I wasn't in a good mood so he brushed up against my side to try cheering me up. Which worked, he's probably the only reason I'm still going on at this point.

Before getting my things and leaving, I had to say one last goodbye to mom and dad.

I made my way to the darkened closet door and slowly let it creak open until I saw them. "Bye guys... I promise to keep living. I love you.". Their slumped over bodies didn't respond of course, for they were dead. And I knew this, yet still couldn't leave without saying it.

Third Person P.O.V:

The black cat went along with the young girl as she gathered the last of her now few belongings, prepared to embark on finding a new safer place to live.

They walked together through the torn city that was once prosperous. The previously beautiful running fountain that marked the middle of the illustrious city, was now reduced to rubble and a huge puddle of blood. Blood was one thing you could count on finding somewhere strung about within the dilapidated kingdom.

Timid swiftly followed behind Joliette, whom made her way from building to alleyway in search of a safe haven. This wasn't going to be easy though, for there was practically no buildings in the area that were left unscathed, and few actually even had doors. After 4 hours of searching it started to feel futile, how could they survive any longer. The streets would eventually be unsafe, once night came so did the creatures. For some odd reason they mostly come out at night.

"We must hurry Timid, should we try searching outside the city?" Joliette asked the kitten, to which he meowed. Not much help he could provide her in this situation.

Suddenly

Joliette's P.O.V:

*Snap*

Could it be the sound of someone stepping on a branch? Could they be friendly? Likely not but I have to hope.

I quickly yet silently guided myself to the corner of a stone building. There around the corner was a girl who looked of similar age to myself chewing on something. That something being someone, someone who was dead. The girl's appearance was no doubt that of a Yielded. She had very strait black hair, immensely pale skin, and a large swirling hole in her head located on her right temple. Her eyes were black, and seemed empty.

It was now that I realized the snap must have been one of the man's bones.

I didn't know what to do, I don't think talking will be an option, but I need to go down the alley she's in unless we take the very long route opposite of here.

In an act of stupidity I show myself to her. She quickly looks up at me with her endlessly dark eyes, and bloodied face. Her stained mouth was even more prominent due to the girl's vivid paleness, it was close to that of a clean bedsheet.

"Hello, how are you?" I asked. Honestly I don't know what I'm doing, I may be doomed. I've never so casually spoken to one of them before, so I don't know why I'm doing it now. "Hmm. Sorry, am I in your way ma'am?" She said with a bloody smile. The ink of the person below her had spread across her lips in a way making another smile.

"Oh um no, not in the way I'm just passing through though." My nervousness was hard to control, which was evident with her expression. She kept smiling, knowing I was trembling within my heart.

"That's nice... haha. Want a bite of this stupid fucker?" She asked casually with another big smile.

I was shocked with the suggestion, but realized she knew I would say no because I was obviously human. "U-um, no it's okay. T-thank you very much for th-the offer though." I stuttered my way through the sentence while looking at the man below the woman, his face was absolutely mangled. "It's fine I'm joking, I know you wouldn't want it, and don't worry I'm not gonna kill you or anything. I only killed him because he was trying to rape me, can you believe that shit? Stupid fucking asshole." The girl ranted as if having a conversation with an old friend.

The huge wave of relief washed over me as I blinked away my fear. "Oh okay, I'm sorry about that. I-I'm Joliette." I said slowly edging toward the seemingly friendly Yielded girl.

"Shabriri" she said dropping the man's arm and stepping closer to Joliette with an extended hand. "Where you headed?" She questioned as I shook her hand. "Somewhere where me and Timid can stay safe. We got robbed last night." As I spoke his name, he rounded the corner running up and jumping upon my shoulder.

"How cute." Shabriri squealed out in joy, before realizing what Joliette said. "Wait you got robbed last night, that sucks.. for you at least. I will say though, this guy had a bunch of shit with him though, think it's yours?" She bluntly said causing me to turn back to the man on the floor. His dilapidated body had a large satchel connected to his detached arm. I get curious and check it out, and to my surprise there it was. My food, water canteen, coin purse, and other such random thing that belonged to me.

"Hah, what a funny little coincidence. This guy was starting trouble left and right. At least you got your stuff back huh?" She said as if it was comedic.

"Yeah I suppose so." I said dejected, looking back at Timid wondering how the man ended up going down this path.

Shabriri slipped her way behind me and surprised me. "I'll be seeing you then, good luck on finding a new cozy place to settle. Personally I prefer to run about the city but that's just me." She took my hand in a final goodbye. "Bye then.." I said as she took off.

Her exit was very abrupt but I decided not to linger on it and continue forward.

~~~

"We got lucky back there Timid, I don't know what I was thinking. Im just glad she was friendly, although kinda creepy."

Me and Timid walked side by side, traveling throughout this broken city with hope behind a large wall of fear and anguish. The cracked buildings and rickety fences did little to help my hope, but I had hope nonetheless.

As long as we find a new home we'll be fine. For a while at least...