CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Mallory

I prop the front facing camera on the post at the end of my bed, setting the timer.

I'm naked, but the goods are artfully covered with a white sheet. My hair falls in loose curls over my shoulders, hiding my nipples. I look straight into the lens with hooded eyes, biting my lip tentatively.

When the photograph is taken, I scramble across the bed, double-checking to make sure it's satisfactory, then hit 'send' before I can change my mind.

It's past two in the morning, so Mason is probably deep asleep. On the other hand, I haven't been able to settle my mind. I've been wavering back and forth, comparing a mental checklist of pros and cons.

It's what I do. I never make a decision, big or small, without considering every possible outcome. It's what led me to push Mason into college ball. It led me to accept David's proposal. Almost every time I've overthought something, it's led me farther away from Mason.

That's when I decided to shut my brain off, take a suggestive photo, and send it to Mason, who is three doors away, most likely sleeping. In the morning, he'll have a wonderful little gift waiting on his phone.

Except for the fact that mine is currently vibrating in my hand, the name 'Reeves' flashing across the screen. I jump, tossing it onto the floor.

Okay, I definitely thought he'd be asleep. Him and the kids barely made it indoors once we got home. While I tucked Blake in, I listened as Mason brushed his teeth, then stumbled into the guest room. He's supposed to be asleep!

My phone vibrates again, signaling a text. I slide off the bed, completely naked, and unlock the screen.

Reeves: I'm calling again. You're going to answer.

It rings three times before I slide my finger over the screen, lifting the speaker to my ear. "You're awake."

Mason chuckles, deep and throaty. My bones turn to jelly before he even speaks. "Apparently, I not only have a sixth sense for errant dicks. When Mallory Robinson sends nudes, my brain jolts out of REM."

"I wasn't nude nude," I argue, climbing back onto the bed. I lie on my stomach with my ankles crossed in the air. All I need is a magazine to flip through, and I'm a teenager again. "I mean, I was nude, but I covered all my bits."

"Mallory." Mason draws out my name like a warning. "Are you or are you not naked right now?"

I bite my lip, excitement puckering my skin. "I am."

I hear sheets rustling on his end of the line, as well as a sharp intake of breath. "Do you remember what I told you?"

"You've told me many things, Reeves. Elaborate."

"I told you that when and if you ask me to make love to you, I want you all in." Mason pauses, and I wait. "Are you all in, baby girl?"

I squeeze my eyes shut, resting my cheek on the fluffy comforter. "I'm still scared."

He sighs heavily. "I'm scared, too."

"What are you scared of?"

"That you're too good for me," he answers immediately. "That I'm finally so close to something I've always wanted, but that I don't deserve it. I'm scared you're going to get snatched away from me by some wicked twist of fate. I'm worried you'll hurt me. Worse, I'm worried I'll do something to hurt you. Despite how sure I feel about us, I'm terrified of losing you again."

I grip the phone tighter. "I want you to come to my room right now."

"I'm standing outside your door."