Chapter 21

Aaron

Nothing. Not once did my wolf howl with joy or smell my mate. She's not here, another pack crossed off. Oh well, it's not like Lexi will ever forgive Nickolas. 

I come back to the Alpha house late at night, and quietly step into our room. It's a fair size and all, but I've grown accustomed to having my own house. Nickolas didn't even turn off the lights. He's sleeping on his mattress with a huge grin on his face. 

I step closer and realize that he's holding a black and white blurry photo against his chest. I squint my eyes contemplating what the photo was of and realize it's an ultrasound shot. Lexi's baby.

I stealthily slip the photo out of his hands and study it. It looks really fuzzy, but the outline of the baby is really easy to see. I look even closer at it and see some facial characteristics. Like eyes and a nose. I can't tell the gender obviously, but I don't care what this baby is. 

I'm ready to call it my own.

Nickolas

"Good morning Lexi!" I greet in a cheery voice. "I've got some eggs sunny side up, some crispy turkey bacon, some warm biscuits, a plate of fresh fruit with honey and homemade  chocolate chip pancakes with maple syrup." I set down the tray of food on her bed and hand her some napkins and silverware. 

"Oh wow! This all looks amazing!" She dives into the food. "What about you?" She asks me once she's had the chance to sample each piece of food.

"I'm fine. I already ate." I lie. 

She stares at me for a few seconds and her eyes scan my body.

I'm pleased at first because I think she finds my body sexy, but her lips turn to a frown as she studies me. 

"You've lost weight." She concludes.

"I'm not working out much, my muscles just look smaller."

"No, you've lost weight. Like actual body weight. Are you eating all right?" She insists.

"Yes, I'm sure you're just imagining things." I eat...sometimes. 

"All right. But here, take some pancakes."

"Lexi, I cooked just for you, I'm not-."

"Just take them! I can't finish all this myself."

I take a napkin and place the two pancakes she offers me on it.

"Thank you." I turn around.

"Where are you going?" 

"I'm not allowed in your room alone. I'll just wait right outside." I shut her door and lean against it.

I grin slightly as I sink my teeth into the food she gave me.

Ashton

I get dressed after I wake up in the morning and leave Katerina sleeping. Just in case Elias decides to come in, I leave some clothes for her to put on right next to the bed. I start walking out as I tie my tie and stop when I see Nickolas sitting right outside Lexi's room like a lost puppy.