IX.

"No, my baby! You can't take my baby!"

Aleu struggled. No matter how much they tried to move their body, blazing hot and drenched in sweat, they were unable to think past the remnant echoes of their night terror. Their eyes refused to open. Their lungs refused to expand. They could only lay still, a headache pulsing, impossible heat burning behind their sockets.

 They could only lay still, a headache pulsing, impossible heat burning behind their sockets

Snow crunched beneath Phoenix's feet as she padded between the trees. Night had fallen, she held her cloak–made of cow hide–close to her body. It wasn't as warm as Hawk's, but it would still do. The snow's got to let up some time soon, hasn't it? She thought glumly to herself. Between the spindly branches of the trees above, the glimmer of stars sprinkled across the deep, dark night sky became the only company she had. The hoot of an out-of-sight owl nearby jolted her, she looked over her shoulder and into the shadows.

The urge to hold her crossbow closer to her chest was accepted, echoed with action. Phoenix curled her fingers around it protectively. The cold flakes from the sky fell, tangling into her hair and cooling her scalp. She blinked past the fog in the woodland and continued onward. Who knew night hunting would be such a big hassle. In an effort to prove her independence, she'd snuck out hours before the sunrise, to catch breakfast for her family before they woke up. Sneaking out of the camp without being seen hadn't been easy.

But if anybody saw me trying to leave they'd have stopped me! Phoenix reminded herself. Even if they did see her leave and was worried, that'd just make them doubly impressed! I'll show father, thinking I need Keisuke to babysit me. Pft. Father and Papa think I can't do anything on my own? Well, this'll show them good. She loaded a bolt into her crossbow, taking it from the small quiver over her shoulder. Come on, come on. I know I saw you the other afternoon around here somewhere.

Phoenix stiffened and ducked down, deep into the underbrush. A twig had cracked. Through the shadows, a massive creature was picking through the foliage, pawing at the ground with a large foot. It shook its head, letting out a puff of perspiration from its nostrils, then raised up and parted its muzzle. Phoenix gulped and lowered her hands to try and cover her ears. A shrieking, loud, whistle-roar echoed through the trees as the bull elk bugled. He paused. When he received no response from any single ladies, he huffed and bent back down to munch at the leaves of a bush.