XXXV.

The fight had broken out quicker than the blink of an eye

The fight had broken out quicker than the blink of an eye. Who was this masked man, where did the biters come from and why weren't they attacking the others? What were 'husks' or this 'Sovereign' he had been talking about? None of that matters now. The only thing left is blood. Hawk told himself. With a wild snarl he leapt into the thrall of battle. His heart pounded hard in his chest, his eyes locking onto their first target. This is what he was made for, what he was built for, what he was born for!

"Die!" Hawk growled to the closest biter, even though it definitely didn't understand him. It gurgled back a protesting response and lunged at him, another from the side joined it. Hawk grabbed the one on the side and slammed it into the one that was jumping at him. With them both on the ground he sent his ax's blade through one's face. Hamish ran out from under his legs and jumped onto the other biter, stabbing his knife into its face with a fierce scream. If I'd known these things would be here then I wouldn't have brought him. Not this many.

The living were the worst of their problems now, not the dead. Though, both sides were quickly becoming overwhelmed. Hawk took a single step back, raising his weapons and getting ready for a fight, but even his heart faltered at the sight of what they were up against. More biters were flooding down the hill all the while the masked man still stood on top of the boulders as if he were invincible, watching the chaos unfold around them. "Hamish," Hawk growled as another wave approached, "stay behind me!"

Hawk took a hold of his nearest opponent and slammed them to the ground, they fell hard with a winded oof and didn't have any time to react before Hamish drew a knife and jumped onto them. He drove it into the person's skull, then tore it away with wide, frightened eyes. The way he looked up at Hawk, it was a mixture of horror and fascination. He's only killed biters before. Never living people. But if he does not now, then he will have to eventually. Hamish squeaked, "Behind you!"

Hawk whipped around with his ax and caught a biter across the face with the blade. It didn't stop the rancid creature as it shambled forwards again. The entire clearing was now filled with chaos and violence, the stench of blood and decay in the air. Battle cries, pained screams or angry grunts mixed with the undead monsters howling. The biter's skull caved in after making contact with the ax and it crumpled to the ground. A small pile around them had begun to form, made from both humans and the undead.

Hamish slunk back against Hawk, pressing his body up against him. The boy's body quivered, holding his knife by the handle with both hands and pinched brows. "You are safe Hamish," Hawk said firmly. "Nothing will harm you, I won't let them!" He'd felt this before, the brewing monster deep within his body. The one that would do anything to keep his students safe–anything. Even trading his own life. He would do it in a heartbeat. It's too much! How could this many undead and people be hiding under our noses for so long? Hawk yelled to himself.

On the other side of the divide, Phoenix was struggling to assist Adachi. Both were taking humans and undead with stride, but tiring quickly. Hawk's own muscles were beginning to ache, his breaths coming in quick, harsh gulps. He grasped onto Hamish and dragged his student close, "Hamish, you are quick. I need you to be very, very brave right now." Hamish nodded with anxious eyes. "You remember what direction Keisuke went?" Hamish nodded and pointed. "I need you to go and tell him what is happening here. Make sure he knows that his family is in danger as well." If Keisuke won't care for Aleu and I anymore, then he will for Adachi, Phoenix and Killian.