heart and soul

Quinn meets Santana.
Santana meets Quinn.
Nothing will ever be the same.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day after Quinn turns sixteen, she spends the morning methodically bringing her gifts upstairs, one by one, and setting them in piles. She does this to avoid the steady stream of relatives waking up, and leaving.

She doesn't eat lunch, but makes herself a cup of tea instead, and steals a slice of her birthday cake. As the afternoon begins, her mother calls her downstairs for a 'family meeting'. This means that her parents are going to force her to do something she really doesn't want to.

Sure enough, the king and queen are sitting at the stupidly big dinner table. Maybe it was a good idea, for when her parents had six children all living under one roof, but now it just seems silly for the three of them. Quinn has sat in every seat, and is still to decide which one is her favourite.

"Lucy, darling, come sit down. Me and your father have to discuss something with you."
"Okay...?"
"It's about your social life. As you get older, it's crucial that you make friends, as they will most likely last you a lifetime. Look at me and Whitney."
"I know, and I'm friends with Brittany."
"But I have other friends. You, however don't. You just have Susan- no, I will not call her Brittany- and the Cohen-Chang's daughter."
"Tina?"
"That's the one. Look, we're not going to make you go to parties, or go back to school."
"Good."
"But we're going to start hosting meetings, here. Me and your father have a list of family friends with children around your age. They come here for a few hours, and you talk, and you make friends."
"Like a play date?"
"Not exactly."
"Mother, I'm not having a play date with some random people who I've never met."
"Fine, then we'll enroll you in William McKinley again. I know it didn't work out last time, but we can always try again-"
"No. Please. Fine. I'll have the meetings. As long as I'm allowed to have Brittany-"
"-Susan-"
"-Brittany, and Tina here. Also, don't invite loads of people. And can it be boys and girls, not just girls."
"Yes. I'm glad you've come around to the idea."
"You blackmailed me-"
"Sorry?"
"Nothing. Is there anything else you want to discuss, or can I go and read my book now?"
"One more thing. As you're sixteen now, it's really time that you get a handmaid."
"A what? Sorry, are we suddenly in the 18th century? Like a servant."
"That's one way of looking at it. But it's more than that. She'll stay with you for most of your life, help you get dressed, do your hair, and be on hand for anything you need."
"Do I need to? I can do my own hair."
"It's a tradition. And, I already know who I'm going to select."
"How?"
"My handmaid- you won't remember her, she left before you were born- has a daughter, who I believe is also sixteen. I promised that she would be able to get a job working here."
"Does this girl know about it?"
"I'm sure her guardian told her, at some point."
"When is she coming here? Mother, is this really necessary? You don't even have a handmaiden. Also, is there another word I can use?"
"Companion?"
"Not much better."
"I don't have a handmaiden now, but I did. And also, it is optional, but as I said, it's crucial for you to make bonds with others."
"But I have friends."
"Lucy Quinn, this is non-negotiable."
"Father, don't you have anything to say?"

Russel, who hadn't said a word, looks as though he's just been woken up.
"Just do what your mother says. At this point, as you get older, you're going to be in the public eye even more. And it's just unfortunate that your siblings aren't around to shield you from the attention."

Quinn just sighs. She's lost the argument.
"Can Brittany come over, mother?"
"Yes, as long as it's this morning. Your handmaiden should arrive this afternoon."
"Please stop calling her a handmaiden. Is there really nothing else we can refer to her as? What about her name. That would make sense."
"I can't quite recall. Contact Susan-"
"-Brittany-"
"Susan, and ask her to come over now."