Chapter 8: The Lake of Life

"Emily?"

She jumped, half fearing that Jacobita had come back for her as well. When Emily turned around though, she quickly realized it was Ethan and Cinnamon, coming to look for her as they had promised before.

"There you are! This big loudmouth insisted we come find you." Cinnamon said, gesturing to a sheepish Ethan. "Hey! Where's the Queen?" He asked, finally noticing what was there. Or rather, what was not there.

"Are you okay?" Ethan said. "You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"I think I have," Emily responded, her voice barely a whisper. She quickly filled them in on everything Queen Rosemary had told her, then showed them the History of Animalian. Finally, she shakily told them about her theory with Jacobita.

"Whoa," Ethan said, staring at her, apparently still processing all of the information. Emily didn't blame him. Finally, he said, "Like, you can talk to trees?"

"I guess so," Emily responded. "But I'm not sure how that will help me!" She felt confused and scared. "What happens now?" Even Cinnamon was at a loss for words. In all of the books Emily read, the protagonist always found a stunning way to save the day. But she was no superhero. She was just ordinary Emily!

You are no ordinary person, Emily Morning. You have animal magic.

At first Emily thought that her conscience was trying to cheer her up, but her brain didn't speak all fancy like the voice in her mind had.

"Queen Rosemary?"

The voice in Emily's head went on, quickly growing static. Emily could only make out a few words in the jumbled mess of her mind.

Emily, we need your help. . . Jacobita . . . into . . . decipher . . . power is fading . . . world's power will fade . . . You are . . . who can help us . . . The voice faded after a loud cry from a large bird, the Queen's last words echoing around Emily's head.

Help us . . .

Help us . . .

"No, wait!"

"What?" Ethan and Cinnamon were looking at her strangely.

"I think Queen Rosemary is trying to communicate with us!" Emily said, standing up quickly. "She said something about 'decipher'. . . what are we supposed to decipher? She also said I'm the only one who can help 'us' "

"Us? There's more than just her?" Ethan asked.

"I don't know!" Emily cried. The overload of new information combined with the weight of her newfound 'job' was too much for her. She sat heavily down on the floor putting her head in her hands and stared at the floor, willing herself not to cry. She remembered doing the same thing when she was upset about the move, the thing that started this whole mess. How little a move seemed in comparison to the fate of an entire planet! Emily again remembered her family and felt a deep ache in her chest.

Emily heaved a shuddering sigh. "I'm guessing you guys are leaving now." She looked up at Ethan and Cinnamon. "And I don't blame you. You aren't part of this mess."

"Hey," Ethan sat down next to her. "If you think for a second that we're leaving you, then you're out of your mind. We're with you till the end, no matter what."

"Yeah, what he said!" Cinnamon loped to her other side.

"But we don't even know where we're supposed to go!" Emily said.

Ethan took her hand. "So we'll find out. I'm not leaving a friend. You saved us in Deception Forest. The least we can do is come help you out with this task of yours."