Trust

Griffin's POV:

The night was the perfect backdrop for the motorcycle, subtly slicing through silence and the tension between Antonia and I.

Her body hummed under mine but she was focused. She wove in and out of the streets with an expertise I knew I was lucky to experience.

Passing under a tunnel, I paid attention to the streetlights ahead of us.

When she stopped, we were in front of a bar in a metropolitan area. There were people roaming but not as many as could probably be expected since it was pretty late and cold.

You couldn't see much of the inside of the space from the outside because the glass was tinted from the outside.

She waited for me before walking in.

There was a surprising amount of customers. All human.

The space was quiet as we took a seat in a plush corner booth, where we had a view of the street.

A man came up to us to ask what we wanted to drink.

He lingered for a second on our faces but kept his expression neutral. I wondered if he knew who we were. At least her.

But nothing indicated him caring who she was.

Interesting.

"What's the best thing to drink here?" I asked Antonia.

"I like the Blackberry Mulled Wine whenever winter rolls in."

"We'll have two of those please," I told the waiter who nodded.

I was positive that Antonia wouldn't have brought us here if she didn't trust we'd be safe so I didn't worry more about whether we'd be recognised.

"This district is mostly for humans who have business dealings here," She said, "Or for those who are here to experience the supernatural."

The last bit she said as if Baltia was an amusement park.

I raised an eyebrow.

"I thought the knowledge of Baltia's existence was need to know and limited."

"Yeah they say that but I don't know how true that is. It seems as people have started to know about the supernatural more and more, its natural that they'd find out about us."

"There's talks about creating sports leagues for supernatural creatures actually."

"Really?"

She nodded and took a sip of her wine.

I hadn't heard much about that, since I'd made most of what I needed to know limited to my people these days. Their disappearance is a plague in my mind.

Since her release from NightMare's prison, I'd been able to narrow down their possible locations to a few.

The prison guards sang like canary's after I was done with them but right when I almost got the final location name, they dropped dead like flies simultaneously.

That must've been a failsafe given by their masters.

I turned my head toward the door at the arrival of a few new people, laughing and heading straight for the bar.

Antonia had chosen the booth with the best view, the best vantage point as well. Its plush red interior was romantic and I fought with a smile.

"Is this your favorite bar on the island?" I asked her.

"I have different favorites for different things," She shrugged.

"This one I like because it's usually pretty safe."