Reimagining E96 : No Conditions Applied (Part2)

"But, you're wrong on one thing," he said, his voice hollow. "I didn't do it to be a 'hero'. I did it because I felt like the exact opposite."

Ram sank to the bed, tired. Priya was tenacious, he had to give her that. She pushed and pushed, until her opponent either lashed out or conceded defeat. Except he wasn't sure what she'd won today.

"A man is supposed to protect his family," he said a few moments later, "I don't care if that sounds old-fashioned. But that's the way my father did it. Always clearing the thorns in our way, so we could walk on a bed of roses. Never leaving us wanting for anything....But suddenly, one day, he's gone. How is it possible that the man that was always ten steps ahead planning for the safety and security of his family, has left them without a plan?"

The fierce frown on Priya's face faded, replaced with puzzled concern.

"Over the years I've learnt to live with the permanent hole in my heart, that chronic ache of missing him everyday. But you know, there's one memory that still haunts me.... After we heard the news & identified Dad, we brought him home for the final rituals. Mom broke into tears; of course, she did. We decided to tell Shubhu and Shivi the next morning. I went to bed-the prospect of dreaming felt preferable to living that nightmare. Suddenly, I hear a sound, almost like a moan. It's Mom. She's on the floor with Dad's head in her lap making this keening cry. Her head snaps up, when she notices me. I expect to see grief. But do you know what I saw in her eyes? Terror. There's always been an invisible wall between us, so that I can't quite access what she really feels. But in that moment, it was as if I could read her mind. She was so scared, Priya. Like a cornered animal. She looked at me like I was an executioner who held her fate in his hands. And she...she-" Ram looked upward, forcing back the hot push of tears, "She folded her hands in front of me. She was willing to do anything-beg, even-just so that I wouldn't abandon her, Shubhu and Shivi." He dropped his head into his hands, hoping the press of his palms could push back those dreadful images of a woman reduced to seeking mercy at his feet.

Suddenly, he felt a warm insistent pull on his wrists. Priya. She was knelt in front of him, anxious eyes seeking out his own. He let her hold him, forcing himself to continue "I made a vow that day. No woman in my life would ever feel so helpless that they would feel the need to beg like that ever again."

"And they never did!" Priya burst in hotly. "Shivi and Mom carry their heads high because of you, Mr. Kapoor! You've never made them feel like they have to answer to you. You're that rare breed of son and brother that make the women in your life feel free and provided for all at once. Really." She squeezed his hands extra hard, in case there was any doubt of her conviction, "Why are you thinking about all this now? Everything is well, everyone is fine!"

"Maami told me."

Priya gently wiped a tear from his cheek, "What?"

"The night I collapsed, you caught me before I fell, didn't you? I fainted in your arms, bled all over you. You were crying...pleading for me to wake up."

Her eyes widened, finally realising the connection. "No, Mr. Kapoor! I mean, yes I was a little scared. It all happened so suddenly, but-"

"I made that promise not just for Mom and Shivi, but for my future wife as well. And look how easily I had forgotten it. If something had happened to me that day, then what would have become of you?"

"Mr. Kapoor. You're overthinking this. Listen to me-"

"...left vulnerable and alone, without an iota of a safety net-"

"Alone? I am surrounded by family-"

"...a marriage of compromise doesn't mean I can ignore my duty to provide-"