PROLOGUE

CLOVER watched as her mother and siblings watched their father in horror. She didn't understand it, he was just trying to protect them so why were they scared? If they were scared of watching their father kill the people with a can, would they even be able to survive in this world?

The thought terrified her, but she knew it was true. Seriously, she was sure there were much worse things in the world then killing people. What scared her the most though, was how her mother had pulled her away from giving her own father a hug after he had killed those people. She didn't get it, he had obviously done it to protect them, his family. So, why were they so scared?

At first she thought it was because he was covered in blood, but then she saw the way her mother looked at him. It was like she couldn't tell who was anymore, a completely different person from the Abraham she knew. It was a look if disgust.

How could her mother look at her father as disgustingly as she did when he was trying to protect them, from what would have been imminent death? Without him, it was obvious to Clover that they would have been dead by now. He was all that was keeping them alive.

"El-Ellen," She heard her father shout. Her mother stood up rigidly and looked at him, scared. Ellen held back her kids, as he neared. "I saved you, I stopped them. You don't have to be scared now."

He looked at his hands and slowly started to realize, they weren't scared of the people that would've killed them, they were scared of HIM. "It- Its ok" He sounded like he was trying to convinced himself that it was ok more than anything else.

Clover wanted nothing more than to give her father a hug to reassure him that she wasn't scared of him and that he only did what he had to to protect them. Of course, her mother didn't allow that.

Later that night, her mother also didn't allow her to stay with her father after she had decided that they were leaving, "I don't want to go, you know we'll die without dad, right?"

Ellen looked at her and ushered her out the doors, "If we stay with him we'll die, Clover. Don't you get that?"
Clover glanced at her sleeping father once more as she was pushed out the door by her mother to meet her siblings.

"You can't be saying that HE'LL kill us right? He wouldn't! What he did back there was just to protect us!" She had tears welling in her eyes, if she understood that, why couldn't they understand?

"Clover, why don't you get it? He killed those men back there. If he were really worried about us, he would have talked to me and we could've left. Now we will survive just fine on our own. We don't need that murderer to protect-"

Her sentence was cut off by her children's shouts. Ellen and Clover both shifted their focus from each other to see AJ and Becca being mauled by walkers. Ellen ran to them to protect them and shouted for Clover to run.

She couldn't move, she couldn't blink, she couldn't breath, she couldn't do anything but watch her mother and siblings being attacked and killed by the walkers. She slowly watched the walker's attention shift to her. Only then did she snap out of it.

She wanted to run back into the building and shout for dad but it was being blocked by the walkers. She saw a tree a few feet away and figured that would be her best bet to survival. She climbed it and barely made it with the walkers following after and trying to grab at her.

She made it as high as she could, which was just out of the dead's reach. She didn't know if she would be able to stay up there for long as there wasn't a lot of space to move. She looked around for something, anything to kill the walkers with.

Then she spotted her family's mangled bodies, covered in blood. Without realizing it, she started crying. She desperately looked for something to kill the walkers with, there were only three but she knew she had to do it. She would probably fall before her father would wake up and be able to protect her from the dead.

Through her tears, she saw a broken branch that was small enough for her to pick up, but also big enough to kill the walkers. She tried to get better footing on the tree, and reached for the branch. She was able to grab it, now the real challenge came, killing the walkers. Clover had never had to do it before as those around her did it for her.

She wiped her tears and used all her strength to shove the branch through the walker's head. She was successful and pulled it out. She then repeated the process two more times.

After killing the walkers she stayed in the tree until daylight when she knew her dad would be up. She jumped down from the tree careful to avoid the walkers bodies and avoid breaking her leg. She slowly made her way around the building careful to not look at her family's dead bodies. As she got closer to the side of the building, she could gradually hear a man yelling for help, as she got closer the man stopped.

Either the walkers had got to him or someone had killed them. As she rounded the corner she saw a man with dark hair and a mullet. She also saw the back of a tall ginger man who she knew to be her father.

"Dad!"

Abraham turned around and saw her running to him and he opened his arms as she ran into them. "Clover, are you ok?" He asked her, and she nodded. She was crying.

"It's all my fault. If I had stopped mom they would be ok." she sobbed, and Abraham held her tighter.

"Its not your fault, its ok." He held her until her cries slowed. Although, the only reason Clover willed herself to stop crying was because the man with the mullet was staring at them awkwardly.

"Who are you?" Clover asked him after her father had let her go.

"I have a very important mission."