5

No matter how long I live,
I'll never forgive myself
that you couldn't live alongside me.

One Month Later...

"Hello?" I groaned, answering my phone. It was still dark outside.

"Mrs Howard?" A man's voice asked slowly in the other side of the phone. Billie's assistant, Sam.

"Yes, is everything okay?" I was now suddenly very awake.

"No. Billie... she's... Billie's..."

"Please tell me shes alive," I said, throwing back the duvet and pulling in the first set of clothes I saw.

"..."

"Where are you all?" I asked in panic, pulling on some shoes and running out to my car, locking the door frantically.

"I'll send you the address now, it's a few hours from your house though..."

"No. I'll be there in an hour."

And I was. I ran every stop sign, red light, speed camera, law I could think of.

But it made no difference. Billie was dead.

"Bill... baby please wake up, Billie I love you," I whispered to my wife's body. "Sweetie please I need you to be okay, please."

"Mrs Howard, she's gone," Billie's manager told me firmly, and I rounded on him.

"ITS ALL YOUR FAULT! SHE DIDNT WANT TO FUCKING COME HERE AND YOU FORCED HER YOU FUCKFACE! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?!" I screeched, pulling my wife closer.

Billie had always felt warm. She had a warm aura, even when we were both freezing, she felt warm to me. This was the first time my love had ever felt cold.

That realisation was what it finally took to break me.

I just snapped. I pulled Billie as close as possible, before I finally let myself cry.

And I cried.

A lot.

I cried as Sam, my wife's assistant pried her body from my grip. I cried as he drove me home and I left Billie there. I cried as he carried me upstairs and settled me into bed.

The bed felt cold.

I cried harder.

I cried when Sam left the house, leaving me alone.

I cried when I
I cried when the cat cried on Billie's side of the bed.

And after hours upon hours of sobbing into Billie's pillow, I finally fell asleep. Alone.

Did you ever think to stop
And see the world with my eyes?