1 / what the hell I'm in hell

spoilers for the live-action & manga

Meteorites kill people.

This information was the only difference between Yamane in the present and five minutes ago. Had she died from a tragic meteorite? No, but she just watched one occur.

She woke up from a light nap with her arms sprawled on the keyboard and her back arched forward. Prying her eyes open with her fingers, she scrolled her mouse through the endless monitors on her wall.

Maybe I should've left this job to the dealers too.

Her eyes fluttered shut as she slumped back in her chair, hitting her head. Springing back up and slapping her face, Yamane attempted to focus on anything except the blinding monitors. The room she resided in was bare and plain. The most prominent light was from the central computer, to which dozens of monitors were attached by broken wires powering them. Her head snapped around once she heard the irritating ping, signalling a new player.

Ding, ding, ding, ding,

Her eyebrows furrowed as she drew her attention to the noise, expecting to see a lone person. She realised that it was not a singular individual, but the sound of many players awakening, spread wide over Tokyo, with more appearing with each glance.

Ding, ding ding, ding ding, ding ding, di-

"Please shut up." She whispered as she covered her ears, which had begun echoing the notifications. She frowned, realising her efforts were futile; the buzzing grew louder and louder, signifying an ever-growing presence of players. Sacrificing knowledge of what the players were saying, she clicked mute.

The only noise now was the clicking of her keyboard as she leaned closer to observe the groups. After a wave of confusion, players tried to cover the mass of land, desperate to find their way out. But Yamane watched as they became a different person once they discovered an entrance—into a game.

One victor and the first game is completed.

Day by day, people continued to fight to extend their lives through visas. These games consisted of four types: diamonds, spades, clubs, and hearts. And through the first few days of their sojourn, the population grew only to shrink again. Monitoring humans' futile attempts to live, covered in their own and others' blood. Their horrified screams made Yamane feel as if her ears were bleeding out, with the occasional alert ringing, bringing her back to the lukewarm reality.

Yamane's curiosity still continued to rise, with a group creating "The Beach"—a hotel repurposed into a safe place with one goal: to collect the cards and escape. Watching as the beach soon became official.

It was time for her to join.

♥︎♠︎♣︎♦︎

Walking the cold streets in the dead of night, Yamane had started to regret her choices; her back feeling the cold gazes of newcomers following her. The decision to keep any unused buildings' lighting off, meant she was alone and trying to keep on a pathway consumed by darkness. Her breath was heavy, she exhaled before hiding her rosied cheeks with a knitted scarf.

A cold hand gripped her wrist,

An elderly man of large stature walked out of the shadows, "How about' you follow me to a game, sweetheart? I'm sure we could sort something out."