We Meet Again

6 years ago

"Our first guest captured our hearts as a child appearing alongside her parents in the wildest places saving the lives of all kinds of animals. Tonight she's here for a different reason. Please welcome The Young Wildlife photographer of the year, Charlotte Brown!" Jimmy Fallon announces.

The blue curtains pull back to reveal a beautiful young girl. She waves to the cheering crowd gives Jimmy a quick hug and takes a seat.

"Welcome, welcome. Not only is this your first time here, but this is your very first late-night talk show ever."

"Yes. I love the show so much."

"I'm honored Charlotte. We've practically watched you grow up on your parent's show Vet's Gone Wild, but I want to get to know a little more about you. When did you start getting into photography?"

"Please, call me Charlie. Charlotte makes me feel like I'm in trouble with my dad." Charlie laughs. "My mom was the one who got me interested in photography. I would always see her crouching in the oddest places or super close to the animals and at bedtime she would show me everything she had shot that day. I was about 5 and I thought photography was magic the way she captured the world with her little box."

"Wow. She won her first Wildlife Photographer of the Year Award when she was 23 correct."

"Yeah, we were so proud of her, Dad, and I. By the time she was 38 she had won 4 Grand Titles."

"Grand titles, that's what they call the awards?"

"Yeah, Adult Grand Titles for those 18 or older and Young Grand Titles for those younger than 18."

Jimmy looks through his notes, "Not only are you the Young Grand Title winner, but you are the youngest winner ever correct?"

"Yeah, the youngest winner before me was 15 so I beat him by three years."

"We have your photo here, where were you and how did you get this photo?"

"My father was invited to South Africa by Kevin Richardson who is an amazing animal conservationist

"My father was invited to South Africa by Kevin Richardson who is an amazing animal conservationist. Of course, I had to tag along when I heard he was going to be working on lions."

"Of course." Jimmy laughs incredulously.

"So we pull into The Kingdom of the White Lion, a 2000-acre conservation reserve, and see the man they call the Lion Whisperer walking with the pride. They were rubbing on his legs, jumping on his back, I've never seen anything like it. You could see the love he had for the lions and the love that they had for him."

"And who is this?"

"This is Zambi, a mischievous little girl. Dad was off operating on two of the lions with Kevin while I was with some of the other reserve caretakers when I hear this cute little growl. I look over and there is Zambi. She had snuck off from the rest of the pride and was pouncing on practically everything that moved. I could see her character, her spirit, you know and I had to take photos of her."