State Of Limbo

The ground was cold and rough under her hands. It felt real yet it couldn't be. At least, Lizzie didn't think it was.

She was dead. Well, for a little bit. She'd wake up soon. Or she assumed that was how it worked.

It wasn't like she'd ever died before.

Sitting up, Lizzie looked around at the forest to her right and the road to her left. Beside her was the 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' sign.

Although, the last time she checked, she wasn't anywhere near that cursed town that she called her home.

Lizzie's hand went to her neck, which Hope had just snapped.

It felt fine. She felt fine.

However, she didn't feel like a vampire yet. She didn't know how she knew that, it wasn't like she'd been a vampire before, but this didn't feel like it.

She didn't feel different.

Standing up, she began walking back to town. She expected to be exhausted by the time she reached it but she found that she wasn't tired.

She wasn't even sweaty.

Looking for anyone else in this place turned out to be easier than she had first expected. Right next to one of the buildings was a weird bigfoot person and to their right was a regular human.

Well, that confirmed that this was in fact not Mystic Falls. Or at least, not the one she was familiar with.

Then, near a bench was a familiar boy. Chad. Well, that was interesting. He died a while ago, didn't he? So, where the hell was she?

"Lizzie?"

Hearing her name was the last thing she'd expected and the last voice she'd ever expect to hear.

Lizzie turned to see Landon staring at her in disbelief. Well, at least she had confirmation that she was not currently among the living.

"Hey, sasquatch, how has death been for you? It seems like a real party. Is that your brother over there?" Lizzie asked, nodding over to bigfoot. "The resemblance is uncanny I have to say."

"Lizzie..."

Lizzie raised an eyebrow. "What, Kirby, cat got your tongue?"

"I-uh...I don't know what to say," He said, slowly approaching as he looked at her like she was a hallucination that would disappear if he blinked.

"Well, that's a first," Lizzie said, dryly. "Of course the first time I want you to use your motor mouth, you learn to shut up. Couldn't have picked any other time, could you?"

Landon blinked a few times and shook his head. "Well, there's no doubt you're Lizzie Saltzman."

She raised an eyebrow at that. "And who else would I be?"

"It's a long story but let's just say there's some shapeshifters here that like to mess with unsuspecting people by turning into people they know," Landon said.

Lizzie rolled her eyes. "That was a rhetorical question, bird boy, keep up."

Landon gave her exasperated look, but then he turned serious.

"Lizzie, how are you here?"

"Finally asking the right question. Hope killed me," She said like it was obvious.

"Wh-wait what? What do you mean Hope killed you? Why would she do that? I know you can be...well you but she'd never do that," Landon said in disbelief.

Lizzie narrowed her eyes. "I'm gonna ignore that part since you're about to learn that your girlfriend has entered her evil era, but don't test my patience a second time."