ᩏꪖꪹᡶ ꪮ᭢ꫀ : 𝓱𝓪𝓵𝓪𝔃𝓲𝓪

─•~❉᯽❉~•─

"happy birthday yeosang!! you're getting as old as seonghwa~"

wooyoung joked, smacking yeosang's shoulder playfully. yeosang glared at wooyoung, smacking him back. seonghwa chuckled and brought out his lighter, flicking it down a couple times.

he finally got it lit, tossing the lighter aside. yeosang faked a smile, even though a pit of unknown dread sat in his stomach like a rock. wooyoung gazed expectantly at him, but yeosang didn't seem to notice.

he had subconsciously zoned out, his eyes glued to the flickering flame. he shivered, a cold breeze traveling up his hoodie. seonghwa looked at wooyoung, who shrugged and nudged yeosang.

yeosang blinked aggressively, apologizing. seonghwa sighed, letting his eyes flit to the window. it was dark outside, a hazy fog covering the earth.

"come on sangie, blow out your candles."

wooyoung muttered, nudging him again. yeosang still didn't move, feeling anxiety squeeze his heart. with a whistling noise, a gust of wind blew through the window, which had a crack in it. it rattled as it blew, and as the wind was so strong, a piece of glass broke off.

yeosang stayed emotionless as the glass clattered to the floor, breaking into a million pieces. seonghwa frowned and stood up carefully, grabbing a tattered towel.

yeosang could faintly see seonghwa's shadow through his peripheral. wooyoung frowned sadly and set his hand on yeosangs thigh.

seonghwa leaned on his tippy toes, hooking an end of the torn blanket to a rusted nail, letting it fall and cover the window.

"it's no use."

yeosang mumbled, watching as the blanket rustled. the wind filtered through the thin blanket and blew out the candle. wooyoung sighed and reached over the cake, grabbing the lighter with light fingers. yeosang watched as wooyoung struggled to relight the candle, his mind blank.

"quick, before it goes out!"

wooyoung tried, shielding the delicate flame with his hands. yeosang hummed, leaning down to emotionlessly huff his own gust of air. it traveled and the flame wavered, then went out, smoke floating up from where it was.

"what'd you wish for?"

seonghwa asked, gently sitting back down. yeosang stared down at the smoking candle, blinking slowly. he exhaled a breath of warm air, leaning back in his seat.

"for the world to go back to normal, and for all those people that have died to come back. i'm sure there'll be many more by this is over with."

yeosang stifled a fake laugh, shaking his head. with a sarcastic smile, he leaned up and plucked the candle from the cake, twisting it around in his fingers.

wooyoung gnawed on his lip, fighting down the words that wanted to spill out. he tapped his foot on the ground, training his eyes on the candle in yeosangs fingers.

"yeo, you know that won't happen. it's just how it is."

seonghwa mentioned lightly, keeping his words gentle. yeosang scoffed and flicked the candle away with his thumb, watching it with his unmoving eyes.

"can't you at least try to be happy?! it's your birthday and i'm trying so hard to make it seem normal!"

wooyoung cried, unable to keep the words back anymore. he sat up and placed his palms on the table as he rised, his chair falling out from under him.

yeosang mumbled an apology, standing as well. he kept his mouth shut as he wordlessly embraced wooyoung in a hug, letting the younger drop his head onto his shoulder.