Carrots

The sound of snapping carrots filled the tiny kitchen and Ava delighted in each crunch.

She sat on the wooden counter head and back rested against the weathered cabinets and for quite some time she'd been stealing vegetables of the cutting board.
"Bea." she groaned kicking her heels against the counter.
And when Beatrice ignored her she tried again "Beaaaaa when is it going to be done?"

Beatrice laughed and stirred the thick red liquid in the saucepan "Never if you keep eating everything."

"I can't help it." Ava groaned again with a large over dramatic pout. "I'm so hungry!" And she kicked the counters again.

"Don't do that." Bea smiled "You look like a petulant child."

"Oh how you wound me." Ava hand over heart gasped in mock horror.

When Beatrice laughed Ava watched with adoration.

"Oh I'm so sorry stealing raw vegetables and kicking your feet is very mature."

"Well maybe if you would tell me what you're making I wouldn't be so impatient." Ava hinted with a tilted head and took a peek at the contents of the saucepan.

"I don't want to ruin the surprise." She replies shaking something into the saucepan.

"I don't care about the surprise." Ava moaned and once again slammed her heels into the counter.

"Petulant child." Beatrice mumbled and laughed to herself.

Ava titled her head and smirked. "Bea. What was that."

Beatrice smiled back "Nothing."

"I don't think it was nothing." Ava tugged on the sleeve of Bea's shirt and pulled her into her legs so she could look her right in the eyes.

She fully intended to pester her a little bit longer but as soon as she looked at Bea's face she lost all her thoughts and determination. She was so beautiful. Ava thought about it all the time and it was hard to think of much else when she was this close.

"Ava." Beatrice whispered and something passed between them such a strong powerful force Ava held her breath.
"The sauce is going to burn."

"I don't care about the sauce." Ava replied never taking her eyes of Bea.

She laughs "You will when it tastes disgusting."

"I don't think you can make anything that's anything less than perfect."

Beatrice smiled and it seemed to light the whole room.
"Do you remember the time your tried to make pancakes and you burned them. It's going to taste even worse than that."

Ava opened her mouth.

"And don't say you don't care because you were just complaining about how hungry you were."

"Fine." Ava admitted frowning like a child. "Those pancakes were pretty disgusting."

Bea chuckled pulled away for a second then came back and kissed her. Only a tiny insignificant kiss but Ava grinned triumphantly like she'd won the greatest thing anyone could ask for. Beatrice shook her head and laughed.

(Inspired by this beautiful fanart )