Ambushed in the Library

Aurora

That evening at dinner Draco decided to take a break from whining about his "serious hippogriff injury" to give me the third degree about my encounter with Fred during potions.

"Why were you even talking to him? The Weasleys are absolutely barbaric. You can hardly tell they're pure-bloods."

"Well for one thing Snape put us next to each other and for another I was trying to be nice."

"Nice? To a Weasley? It's a wonder you're in Slytherin, let alone a Malfoy."

I rolled my eyes and decided to stay silent for the rest of dinner. There's no use in arguing with Draco because he wouldn't listen to anything I'd say anyways.

Over the next few days I noticed Fred Weasley staring at me a lot. He'd smile and wink at me but he didn't speak to me because I never gave him the chance. He tried to catch up to me a couple times after class, but I was able to avoid him. I was afraid to get close to him, despite desperately wanting to. I knew how my family would react and I tried my best to stay away. It wasn't until I was in the library, unaware of Fred walking towards me, that we finally spoke.

"Hey, Aurora. Do you mind if I sit here?" I motioned for him to sit down and he grabbed my potions notes out of his bag. "Thank you again, by the way, for letting me borrow your notes. They were rather helpful."

"You're welcome. I'm glad I could help." Once my voice fell, there was an awkward silence. Neither of us knew the other very well and didn't know what to say. Fred finally broke the silence.

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me tomorrow? I wanted to be seen with the prettiest girl at Hogwarts," he said while grinning at me.

I'm right sure I blushed as red as a tomato. "I'm actually staying in the library to start studying for the O.W.L.s." The silence in the room was deafening. "Are you free next weekend?" I asked.

"Next weekend sounds great. I'll talk to you before then to make plans." Fred winked as he got up from his chair, waved goodbye, and sauntered out of the library.

I decided to stay at the castle, but I really did want to go with him. Since I already turned Marcus Flint down for this weekend, I knew I'd never hear the end of it if I was seen with Fred. Besides, I'm a little dubious of his intentions. Fred had never spoken to me before Monday and now he was asking me out? It doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't want to jinx it.