The Good News

We enter and now I am shaking. I felt like vomit was going to be the first to occur in this ongoing nervousness. But I try to keep it down for the poor nurses that will have to mop up my lunch.

"Iris Paige Peckinpaugh," Dr. Stein says firmly behind the piece of paper covering his face. When he puts the paper on his lap, it reveals his huge nose. But he was the common, 182 lbs. 5 foot 10. Like my father.

As soon as he scanned me with his eyes, I feel uncomfortable. The next thing I know, his face is as scared as though he had seen a ghost.

"Let's get you measured and weighted." he declares. 

I really didn't understand; I know my weight and height. Just like any other teenage girl: 125 pounds and 5 foot 6. I know... Why is he asking? Oh no.

I push myself up to a wall where a scale lay and he feels above my head to my height. I move to the weight board to have my weight recorded. It only takes a second but it felt like the longest seconds of my life. I didn't feel the need to look since I already know.

The doctor sat infront of me and my father. "I have some shocking news."

My father reaches for my hand and squeezes as the man before us spoke but speaking only to me, "You are 115 pounds and 5 foot 2. That's not... normal." Trying not to make it seem bad... when it was.

My dad's head dropped, I froze, and he continued , "I'm truly sorry but, have you been eating your daily servings?"

"Yes, of course." my voice is louder than I intend. "Do you think I'm starving myself?"

Dr. Stein reached for my wrist and shows off the barcode. He scanned it with a small device and stared at the device until it beeps. "I think we should add more to your daily serving because you are not getting what you need to eat. Obviously."

"Obviously?!" I almost stand up to yell but my father's hand is placed on my knee before I can. A signal for me to stop. When I turn to him, his eyes are full of sympathy for me. I hate it.

"You knew?" my throat is dry and I have to cough to breath again.

"I wanted to tell you but we needed more answers." We? My father still believes my mother lives. He turns to Stein desperately. "Doc?"

"I am going to prescribe her some pills. To slow down her metabolism." Stein says. "For now, just take her to an ice cream shop or something."

He scans my wrist with the device again. This time so that when we get to the "ice cream shop" I will be able to purchase some ice cream. Without that scan I would be unable to purchase any or I would be going over my limit and be denied ice cream so I don't become obese.

As we walked out, pills in my father's hand, I am shaking harder than before. That is why people are looking at me. They see how unusually thin and short I am. I not supposed to be like this. People will disapprove, with looks now but soon with words also.

We sit in the car with utter silence.

"This is why I was pulled out of school?"

He nodded. Not looking at me.

I am in disbelief.

"Daddy," I whimpered. "There is something wrong with me."