Woe to the Dead

After I had finished lighting every candle for Wednesday's seance to speak to our ancestor, Goody, she started chanting. I shook the match I was using to light the candles and the flame blew out. I didn't completely agree with the art of communicating with the dead, but alas, having a nice chat with Goody was the only way to help master our psychic abilities. The door to our dorm creaked open, and an unsettling breeze flew through the room. The candles were all blown out and Wednesday looked up at me. We both shot our gazes at the doorway as we heard the whispers and chattering of the dead. The chattering stopped as Enid skipped into the dorm. Wednesday sighed heavily. Enid held her hands up.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your," Enid paused to think of the right word, "uh, do I even want to know?"

Wednesday used her arms to help herself up off of the floor as Enid turned on the colored lights. I turned on the lamps on each of our nightstands to bring light back into the room. A shiver was sent up my spine. 

"We were reaching into the black maw of death to contact a relative," Wednesday explained to Enid. The smoke from the candles was clogging the air and filling the room. We all looked at the Ouija board. 

"Feels very on brand for you. You have a relative named Goody?" Enid questioned as Wednesday crossed her arms.  

"She was one of the original outcasts," Wednesday stated. I looked over at them both. 

"We've been trying to summon her," I started, shrugging.

"But she seems to be ignoring our entreaties," Wednesday added. 

"Mhm," I agreed. 

"Oh, you thought about using one of my scented candles?" Enid asked excitedly, "The aroma of steak tartare is to die for."

We all hear a piece of paper flutter and we look towards the door. I walked over to pick it up.

"Maybe Goody answered you after all," Enid said hopefully. I handed the paper to Wednesday. 

"I doubt she communicates in magazine cutouts," Wednesday glared. 

"I think it looks fancy," I confessed. Wednesday read the paper.

"We need to got to Crackstone's crypt," Wednesday commanded.

"Is that what it says?" I asked and looked towards Enid, smiling.

Wednesday glared at Enid and I.

"Really?" Enid whined. 

At nightfall, Enid, Wednesday, and I started walking to Crackstone's crypt.

"Do we really have to do this," Enid whispered to me with Wednesday far ahead of us. As branches snapped, Enid gasped and accidentally flashed her flashlight in my eyes.

"Ouch, Enid," I said, smacking the flashlight so that it pointed in another direction. Enid looked around, cautiously before moving on and took her claws out. 

"You insisted on coming along," Wednesday pointed out and shone the flashlight on us. Enid retracted her claws. "I was fine on my own," she said, turning around. We caught up to Wednesday and stood at the steps of the crypt. Wednesday just stared. 

"Looks like the door is already a crack open," I joked, putting emphasis on the word crack. Enid giggled, but Wednesday gave me a look. 

"Seems like our wannabe Deep Throat is already here," Wednesday warned. 

"Ew," Enid added, sniffing the air. "What died?"

"Smells like childhood," Wednesday concluded, taking the last step up.