fireworks

The night was busy.

Lights still illuminated the city. Roads filled with vehicles trying to get places. Stars trying to stay lit.

For the cat girl, it meant nothing.

Laying down on her bed, she gazed at her phone, looking through the various messages in her feed. Ilya sighed as she put the phone down on the bedside table, getting into a more comfortable position. "God, give me a break."

If this were her regular self, she would have been talking with her friends about cats to get away from the stress, but that wasn't the case. She was exhausted from the previous nights.

The training was intense at BC Sol when tournaments came close, and when Christmas break came, Ilya took the chance to leave, saying she was visiting her family for Christmas, which was not true in the slightest, however that simple excuse was enough to keep her away from Spain until the second week of January.

Ilya slowly shut her eyes, allowing herself to calm down. Although only half-awake at this point, she smiled with content before finally falling asleep.

At least, not for long.

A few hours later, after tossing and turning in her sleep, Ilya woke up, walking over to the window of her apartment. The scars on her arm had started to hurt again, and like before, for no reason. Whether it was from herself, her father, or training, those scars still remained there. Thoughts about her family started to fill her mind, both the painful and happy times, even as little as they were.

She hated her family. It was either they were being too hard or too easy on her, there was no middle ground. Her father was always drunk, getting mad at her at every chance, and her mother was working, and never once stood up to him. 'He was nicer when I was younger, when he wasn't drunk or thought everyone sucked,' Ilya thought, 'But time changes, right?'

"We will find you. You can't hide from us."  A woman's voice echoed in her head, leaving Ilya stunned. Ilya let out a quiet scream, careful not to wake anyone in the building, before her legs couldn't take and she dropped to the floor.

The panic began to kick in. What she usually did was hide under the warm blanket in her bed, but she couldn't move. She was afraid, that it would happen again or that her family will find her. She ran from home in the past.

She knew that if they did find her, they would kill her for it.

In a room not so distant from Ilya's, a red-haired male was scrolling through his phone. New Year's Day was around the corner, and he was trying his best to stay up, since he usually doesn't stay up past 9. Gazing at the window for a moment, he wondered if this part of Japan had lots of fireworks. He wasn't surprised when a test firework came and shot through the sky. Rashad smiled, continuing to look through his messages when he heard a scream.

"Please! Don't hurt me! I beg you!"

'Wait, that's Ilya!' Rashad thought, quickly getting up and putting on his coat, opening ad shutting the door behind him.

"I know very well you don't have family Ilya. Why did you make up an excuse?"

"Simple, if I was taking time off for myself, people would be thinking I'm spoiled or something like that. So, if I have a reason, then it's fine."

Rashad quietly made it to Ilya's apartment, which was directly above his. Despite being quiet, the elevator's distant 'ding' as it arrived only made Ilya more concerned, and even more when the male knocked on the door.

"Please! Don't hurt me! Leave me alone!" Ilya begged the person at the door, not sure who it was, but didn't want to know.

"Ilya, it's me. Are you okay?" Rashad asked, a bit afraid himself.

The cat girl felt relief, but was still shaken from the event. She reluctantly opened the door, letting him inside. As they sat on the sofa in the apartment, Ilya broke down tears, Rashad comforting her as best he could.

After a while of both crying and silence (and cuddles), dialogue finally breaks the quiet atmosphere of the room.

"T-Thank you." Ilya spoke up, cheeks dusted pink from both crying and embarrassment. "Sorry about that."

"No no, it's alright!" Rashad replied, also a bit embarrassed himself. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Ilya shook her head. "I'll be okay Rashad. You should go back to your apartment."

'If you just shut people out, how is anyone going to help you get out of it? '

'Hey isn't that something Basara said to me once?' Ilya thought.

"Just take deep breaths, you'll be okay, alright?" Basara said to a very scared Ilya, having a panic attack at that point in time. She followed the instructions, taking a moment after she calmed down to collect herself.

"Thanks, I guess. Thanks for the help, mint hair." Ilya eventually said, feeling a bit more relaxed.

"No problem, I usually come across it from anxiety and Hannah sometimes goes through the same. A little experience shouldn't feel good, hah." Basara continued. "Also, please don't call me mint hair, I mean sure it is colored that way, but it is very...embarrassing."

The cat girl laughed at the statement. "No promises though, it suits you." She continued, giving him a smug look.

"Well at least you're feeling better." He replied, chuckling in the process.

"Ilya?.." Rashad said, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Ah, yeah, it's all good!" Ilya replied nervously.

"Ilya, I wasn't asking anything-" The red-haired male continued. "Are you sure you'll be okay on your own?"

She thought about it. "Well, due to have I've been, I don't exactly know, but you're free to stay here."

Rashad smiled, Ilya softly smiling as well.

They decided to sleep together, after back and forth arguing ensuing.

(I: Isn't that weird?

R: I mean, I can sleep on the couch y'know-

I: ....No, you should stay O //// O)

Pretty much cuddling with each other, the room has a relaxing atmosphere, a distant smell of lilies from the incense in the room beside the bedroom.

The cat girl stared at Rashad as he slept, breathing slowly in and out. She found it quite calming, along with the flower scent that stayed throughout the apartment. She got closer and quietly tried to fall asleep before an almost silent alarm rang in the room.

"Happy New Year, High King." She whispered, kissing him on the forehead before sliding back into the position she was in before, falling asleep in the process.

Maybe this year wouldn't be bad after all.

(Words: 1,100)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope everyone enjoys 2023!

-Daia  <3