𝘰𝘯𝘦.

1x01 - episode 1

KATSUMI BUSHIDA huffed as renos' 'september sparky deathcap' is replaced with the familiar chime of the iphone ringtone. knowing it can only be one of few options, she doesn't even look as she answers via her headphones.

"katsumi! you must remember to cook dinner tonight, your father is out of town and i'm busy in the shop until late. and please, none of that instant stuff you like. you'll be dead by thirty at this rate!" the dig rolls off her shoulders as her mothers words echo through her headset. she sighs as irritation hits- she knew.

"yes, mother. i'm on my way to the store now, don't worry. what time will you be home?" the young girl looks around at her location- not too far from shibuya crossing. she knew as she got closer, the street would very quickly become swarmed with locals and tourists alike- and katsumi hated crowds.

"you know i do not know, katsumi. stop asking stupid questions." cue an eyeroll she's grateful her mother can't see. "but anyway, i have to go. bye." as the call drops, katsumi relaxes as the familiar guitar returns to her ears.

as she crosses the street, she gently fingers the shopping list in her pocket. katsumi was an alright chef, good at using leftovers and jars that have been in the back of the cupboard for months on end. as she pulls the list out, she double checks.

okonomiyaki:
-green cabbage
-pork belly
-katsuobushi
-green onions

it was easy enough, she supposed.

after returning the list into her pocket, she just looks up in time to avoid a puddle of vomit in the middle of the pavement. she cringes- what brilliant placement.

as katsumi makes a left, she soon recognises the most famous crossing in tokyo. always packed full and overcrowded with bustling bodies, desperate to either get through or desperate to stop and be a tourist. she knew which she'd rather be.

katsumi, although disciplined and orderly, could be tempted by coffee. and not good coffee- but overly sweet american coffee. as she clocked the starbucks only across the road, she quickly changes route to the cafe, agreeing that a beverage would improve her mood, which in turn would improve her performance at dinner. good idea.

whilst sipping a vanilla latte, katsumi couldn't help but think of her life plan- what was she doing? she'd give anything to live by herself again, to be self sufficient. but when her father goes away for work, someone must help her sick mother.

maybe she should go back to school? although she's not certain she could complete years of an accounting degree, as suggested by her parents. math wasn't difficult- more so, she just didn't want to be stuck working with them daily. so, what did katsumi wish to do?

perhaps she might go back to dance lessons? however, she knew her parents would never permit it. 'money is the key to happiness, child. earn a good wage and contentment will follow.' and jesus, dancing did not earn you much cash.

a dribble of burning, dark coffee pulls her from her thoughts as she grabs a napkin from the table and gently dabs her chin and shirt. dammit.

pulling her jumper closer and tighter to hopefully hide the spillage, she speedily paces around the corner before almost bumping into a lady who katsumi just knows will cause a scene. as she mutters an apology, she watches as the lady rolls her eyes and sighs before spinning around and strolls around the corner, out of sight.