Chapter 3: The Fortepiano

Ah, the fortepiano. The missing link between the harpsichord and the modern piano, and a darn cool instrument in its own right.

But what exactly is a fortepiano, you may ask? Well, it's essentially an early version of the modern piano that was developed in the late 18th century. It's called a 'forte' piano because it has the ability to play both soft and loud (or 'forte' in musical terms), thanks to its newfangled invention called the 'hammer mechanism.' Instead of plucking the strings like the harpsichord, or striking them with a tangent like the clavichord, the fortepiano used a small hammer to hit the strings, producing a more dynamic and expressive sound.

But the fortepiano wasn't just a one-trick pony - it also had a nifty little feature called the 'sostenuto pedal,' which allowed the player to sustain certain notes while still being able to play other notes. This may not seem like a big deal now, but back in the day, it was a game-changer. Suddenly, pianists had the ability to add subtle shading and nuance to their performances, creating a whole new world of musical possibilities.

The fortepiano played a crucial role in the classical period, with composers such as Mozart and Beethoven writing many of their famous works for the instrument. And while it may have eventually been overshadowed by the louder and more powerful modern piano, the fortepiano will always hold a special place in the history of the instrument.

So the next time you sit down at your piano, take a moment to appreciate the fortepiano and all it has contributed to the world of music. Who knows, maybe you'll even be inspired to hunt down an old fortepiano and give it a whirl.