A DREAM COME TRUE

After months and months of failing to find a husband for Isabella, George decided that, due to the fact that he had great distrust towards any man to look after his daughter, he would take her on his trade ventures whenever he went. As George and Isabella walked to the yards, George looked at Isabella and the enthusiastic expression on her face.

Isabella looked up at the sky in gratitude as she prayed to God, Mary, and Christ to show her a sign that she was destined for grander things; perhaps it was now that her prayers were answered.

As Isabella and her father arrived by carriage to the docks at Teignmouth, she looked in wonder at all the ships moored. What particularly grabbed Isabella's attention was the galleons. She had always found the way their size and elegance would make them a sight to behold even to those who had little interest in the seas or anything to do with them. She even imagined herself walking the deck of such a ship whenever she slipped into a seafaring fantasy.

Once they dismounted their carriage, George and Isabella approached the docks.

"Father, which ship is yours?"

"Though I do not captain a ship personally, I will often venture on the galleon Calliope." George said, pointing to a ship that had the figurehead of a woman playing a flute.

"Aye, he and she have history."

George and Isabella turned and saw a man dressed in the attire of a ship's captain approach.

"Isabella, meet Captain John HindaI." George said.

Isabella courtseyed and said, "Good morrow, Captain."

"Pleasure. Heard about ya wife. Real tragedy that." Hindal said.

"It has been years since my mother died; how could you know of it only now?" Isabella asked.

"Many years asea, ya miss things. Though I have not found my lady on land, Calliope is my wife at sea. Love 'er as I might, I still search far and wide for she who will have me. 'Til then, Calliope is my one and only love. My Juliet. Should she ever go down, I will die with 'er." Hindal said.

"Rarely has there been so devoted a captain." George said as Hindal looked upon his beloved vessel.

"At it happens, this devoted captain is saling away in an hour." Hindal said.

"Where to, Captain?" George asked.

"Japan. Other side o' the world. A merchant I was supposed to ferry there got the pox a week ago. The irony is, I got the message soon as I disembarked. The man was ill for a day by that point. Been wondering if any other had business there." Hindal said.

"It just so happens that I have a dozen crates of linen to export there, if you would be so kind as to help." George said.

"Business together again. Lovely." Hindal replied fondly

"I leave in a fortnight, if you would be willing to wait a little." George said.

"Worry not, George. Calliope and her captain and crew will be here and waitin' for you." Hindal said.

"Much gratitude. Until next time, John." George said.

Finally, the day came. As usually, Isabella went outside to see her father off. However, she was surprised to see that her father was not taking the wagon as he normally would, but had the carriage ready as well, sparking Isabella's curiosity (a some enthusiasm if what she assumed was correct).

"Father, why are you taking the carriage?"

"Remember what I promised your mother about ensuring that you were never unattended? Well, how am I supposed to do that if I am overseas while you are just waiting here." George said.

Brimming with enthusiasm, Isabella ran towards the carriage as if her life depended on it. During the ride, she looked at all there was to see along the road towards the docks. She saw the markets setting up, the shops opening for the day, and the Church bells ringing. Remembering alI the tales and stories that her father told her of the dangers of sea travel, Isabella made sure to carve every little thing she saw along the way into her mind in case sea voyage also ended up being her last.

When George saw a look on Isabella, he gently took her hand and said, "Sea travel is dangerous, my dear daughter as I have many times said. I have seen captains and travelers with the same look upon their faces that you bear."

"Excitement and fear in equal measure and complete indecision which towards which to choose?" Isabella asked.

"Those very feelings. Once you are out at sea, you are at its mercy, and the gods of the waters will test your nerve. However, you must not let the emotion that drives you be fear. When one's fear becomes their master, one's strength slowly wanes. Dominate your fears and conquer your nerves, and you can overcome anything." Geoge said.

While she stared at the Calliope, Isabella felt that the answers to the many questions that had been swimming in her mind would finally be revealed. As she watched the carriage near the docks, she knew that she would see the visions of her adventurous imagination would become reality.