Special Chapter - Countdown

"Don't read the last page but I stay when it's hard, or it's wrong, or we're making mistakes. I want your midnights but I'll be cleaning up bottles with you on New Year's Day."

—Taylor Swift, New Year's Day

THE soft music coming from inside the Nabbe-Tejero Household is enough to soothe Vester's throbbing temples, not to mention the warmth of his favorite person behind him, wrapping his body securely in a tight embrace

Clinton Kane continues singing in the background with the couple's favorite song, I Guess I'm In Love. They're on the balcony while Vester is leaning his back comfortably on his husband's toned chest.

"... Butterflies can't help me falling for you," Pavlo sang along to the background and Vester giggled with a visible rose pink tint in his cheeks. No matter how many good singers he has heard and known, his beloved is still his favorite singer of all time, and how grateful he is to have him forever.

"So whipped for me, baby love." Vester teased, fished his husband's hand, and brought it to his lips.

He heard him grunt, embarrassed. "Tsss..."

"Come on, lovey! There's nothing wrong simping over your husband." He looks up only meeting Pavlo's furrowed brows but who was he kidding? He can see his blush that it made him giddy, thinking he can make Pavlo so vulnerable like that with the little things that he does.

"I hate you!" Pavlo or rather Chona said.

"I know you actually don't." Vester winked, kissing his husband's chin.

Pavlo sighs, playing with the younger's candle-like fingers. "I hate that I don't."

Vester bit his bottom lip. With a flushed face, he points down. "Look, walang mga tao sa baba."

Pavlo hummed and he felt him nods. "I guess, nasa kanya-kanyang pamilya na sila at hinihintay ang bagong taon."

"Do you think... hindi sila magtatampo sa atin?" Vester asked.

"Sina Mama? They said it's okay so I guess okay lang naman. Nagpaalam naman tayo. Isa pa, I wanted to spend this moment with you, not that I don't want it with them. Mahalaga ito sa'kin and alam kong gets nila ako."

"Sure ka?" Vester just wanted to make sure because he too likes the idea.

"Yeah. Bababa naman tayo after." Pavlo kissed his cheeks. "How's your head? Masakit pa ba?"

Vester smiled, hugging Pavlo's arms that were snaking around him. "Ayos na. Medyo sumasakit pa but I can now manage. I think the meds are slowly working na. Masaya lang ako. So, so happy that I wanted to tear up."

"Why's my baby wanted to cry, hmm?" Pavlo leaves kittenish kisses on his hair.

"Because this is my first New Year with you." He looks up once again with his doe eyes that for Pavlo are so disarming.