average? anything but

The sun is shining, the birds are singing. Rocyri are screeching over apple cores. The busy sounds of town had become far too familiar to Alice to not miss a disturbance. On her average day Alice strolled into the cafe on the street corner. Jubilant chimes awaited the door to open, greeting the girl as warmly as it always had. "Hello how may I help you?" Cheered out the cashier. "One peppermint frappe." Alice ordered, listening to the clicks and clacks of the barista punching in her order. "Anything else?" They asked, answered with a swift head shake. "No, thank you." She chipped out cheerfully, placing the correct change to give the worker less of a hassle.

Alice slid into her normal booth by the store's giant stained glass window. Wel it was tinted to look like stain glass when it was really just thin plastic. A delighted nod of thanks exchanged to the lovely worker as the frappe was received. Alice hummed politely as she sipped at the hot drink contently. She tapped at the window once, then twice, finally one last time to get the pigeons' attention. Alice giggled at the pretty birds as they flocked to her as always had. Finishing her drink she threw out the paper cup and went to give the birds a quick pet before ambling out onto the streets once more in search of something to do.

Alice considered many possibilities, the movies, chasing the pigeons around, maybe ice cream? All summer ideas and so they were quickly swept away. Instead Alice just walked the average brick path through the more dingy side of the less than renowned city, trying and failing to ignore the dragon yowls. "If only there were real dragons, not those mangy pests." The girl recalled her mother saying, she wouldn't be saying it if she saw how extreme their fights could get. Speaking of one of those fights, Alice was snapped out of her thoughts by running into one. There were two rocyri, a blue one and a yellow one, they were fiercely battling over half a croissant roll. Alice huffed, stepping back to avoid being blasted with fire. She along with the crowd watched with more annoyance than amusement as the two dragons fought. It wasn't till the crowd was mostly gone that Alice realized something was wrong in her vaguely beloved city.

"A pity." A new voice spoke, their accent unlike any Alice had heard. It was low and drawn but sharp with thick consonants. They wore a thick dull yellow jacket, at least barely recognizable that yellow was the original color being the coat was more patch than not. "Who are you?" Alice asked warily, looking up at the taller stranger, daring to stare into their solemn brown eyes that sparked with fire just under the surface. "It's a big city, who needs to know everyone's name?" The other brushed off, eyes flicking up as they fuddled with their golden piercings. Alice's eyes followed, seeing something that had cast the shadow over the pair. "Dragon!" She whisper yelled to the person beside her. The person only laughed, whistling at ths unknown beast. "Are you insane?!" Alice called, stepping back as the somehow not large beast flew down from the sky. "I'm not insane, I'm Tatum." They joked before grabbing Alice's purse and flying off on the dragon.

"Get back here!" Alice yelled at the top of her lungs. One of the rocyri came to her aid, leaving the fight unvictorious. "C'mon, can you fly me after them. They took my purse." Although the girl felt stupid for talking with just a big rat in the people's eyes, it nodded. Alice clambered onto its back as the dragon took off after the more aquatic dragon. "Come back here!" Alice shouted once more, trusting the sturdy and dry dragon to not drop her. The stanger no, Tatum looked back at her with shock and confusion before leveling their expression and heading for the forbidden lands. "Wait no! Don't go there!" Alice yelled in absolutely frustration. The poor rocyrus that volunteered drifted towards where Tatum and the purple dragon were bound to land. "Thank you." Alice hushly spoke to the dragon giving it a boost of moral to fly faster.

Alice slipped off the helpful yellow dragon's back, running and running out of breath to find the thief. "Give me back my purse!" She screeched at the one not so covered in leaves. "Woah, fine you can have your bag back." Tatum replied in slight shock, tossing the purse back to its rightful owner. "Now, what are you doing in the forbidden lands? And what is that glowing thing?" Alice asked hoarsely, pointing towards the beam erupting from a flat circle of flat engravings. "Really, no better name other than 'forbidden lands'? Not 'super secret dragon portal' or how about 'the dragon circle'." Tatum jocked around, walking over to the tone circle but not yet into the light. "C'mon, don't be coy after you just chased me, on a dragon no less." They beckoned like talking to a child. "That's a rocyrus, hardly even a dragon. They're more of pests if you ask me." Alice stated, just as she heard all others had even if it hurt her somewhere deep in her soul. "Are you kidding me? That's a dragon be it common or not. Not to mention you rode it and it helped you. You better hope the sweet banana baby didn't hear you." They scolded alice, stepping out and hooking their arm with alice's. "Now hurry up before we draw attention." They chimed, dragging alice into the light as everything went white.