Chapter 8. The End

Here be angst, a happy ending and love.

I'm sorry for the delay in finishing this story. Covid has really messed up my memory and I'm just getting back to where I was.

Thank you to everyone who gave this story a chance, when I was thinking of letting it go. I love you all!

-------------------------------------------------

When the afternoon light in the city began to fade into autumnal sunset, the pair of lovers finally stirred.

Twisted together on the bed, sheets and blankets an ocean of warmth, were two figures drenched in light and a love that has spanned centuries. The mattress was an island, in a faraway place separate from the city and world beyond the four walls of the plain bedroom.

The shadows drifted like clouds across the faintly painted wallpaper, its boring beige coloring no longer confining but part of a shield to the outside. The sheets worn to smoothness after years of washing, felt cool against warm naked skin, heavy limbs relaxed, sated.

From the arch of blue cotton and a warm duvet, a deceptively thin shoulder rose like a pale shadow, to meet silky black waves as iridescent as crow's wings. A long leg shifted and like the waves against a shoreline, the sheet parted. A hand ghosted along a toned calf and a dark head lifted from his place tucked against a warm flank.

A haven in the middle of world, safe and precious. Something to fight for and for this tiny bubble of time, perfect in its peacefulness.

Shen Wei turned his head a fraction and kissed the blanket covered chest, turning over on the bed, his hand still stroking along Zhao Yunlan's calf.

Was there anything lovelier than Zhao Yunlan in sunlight?

Dark eyes, coal-fire and hooded met his, sleepy and content. A kiss bitten mouth still so red curved into a lazy smile and a hand so capable of wielding death, buried long fingers in Shen Wei's hair.

Nine long black fox tails tipped with sand were draped over the bed, two of them flicking like the tail of cat. One was curled around Shen Wei's shoulder, which he was stroking rhythmically. The fur was coarse but soft, its texture causing his palm to tingle with each repetition.

Zhao Yunlan was the first person to teach him the joys and mindfulness of simply lying together. Curled into one another, with no plans and no will to go anywhere or achieve anything beyond comfort. His uncle's disapproval mattered very little when Zhao Yunlan was sprawled naked and sated beside him, tantalizing skin in hints and boundless beauty.

Reunited, together. Shen Wei had no desire to leave the quiet home of this bed and the man he loved, breathing in that unique scent.

Yesterday the future had been bleak, a grey landscape of duty and grief, the exhaustion and weight of a burden handed over in spite of the danger of discovery. A mantle he had carried, hoping that compassion and commitment would help others, hoping that his place here brought some sanctuary to others in their secret church.