14

You sat on the floor, your younger brother sitting in front of you giggling and gargling as you played with him : tickling his sides, making faces and whatever else you do to keep him from crying and content with life. 

The tv played mindlessly in the background. 

Your stomach growled as you looked at your youngest brother who was already looking at you with a curious look. 

"You wouldn't care if I made breakfast? All I had was bread because I heard someone crying from two rooms over", You questioned, looking at him the only reply you got was a gummy smile, no thoughts in his head. Of course it was kinda a lie, you didn't only eat toast because of him crying, you just didn't find yourself truly hungry at the time. 

" mm I don't even know why I asked you,", you muttered with a small huff escaping your lips,a small smile fighting way to your face. You kept it at bay as you, you looked at him with slightly narrowed eyes. 

"You wouldn't happen to know if your momma has a baby carrier or something", You questioned the baby again before shaking your head as he just looked at you. 

" I didn't think so, but if my memory serves me right, they're easy to make", you stated out loud, as you held him close to your chest, when you were taking care of Alda she was a very energetic baby who craved attention, all the time. So it was hard to do stuff around the house, so you had to find a way to carry her and do chores, and god forbid you asked your step-dad for any money to buy anything to help with that.

 He would just tell you to use the stuff they got for Atlas that was no longer working because it's out of battery and no one wants to buy batteries. I mean you still made it work but Atlas and Alda were two different beings with different traits. Just because it worked for Atlas doesn't mean that it would work for Alda: she wasn't as easily distracted, nor did she like being put down. 

You could've asked your grandparents but they sometimes never answered the phone. Or were too busy and would forget about it. 

Maybe you really were on your own when you were younger, they were physically there but never actually helping. Which is stupid because when Atlas was born, you were 5 and it can't be possible to be 5 taking care of a baby. Right? 

You don't remember much but you do remember certain parts and when you think about it. You really did gave a shitty childhood or the lack of a no

You looked at your younger brother before moving to go get a cloth or a blanket to make a carrier. 

You stood in the kitchen, your brother wrapped around your chest in the homemade sling/baby carrier. He was faced outwards so he could see what you were doing.  

You weren't afraid that the carrier would break or anything, ok maybe a little but you made sure to test it out before you actually put your brother into it.

You looked through the kitchen to find anything to eat and just found a lot of ingredients. Which wasn't a problem since you know you bake and learned and mesmerized easy recipes that you wanted to try again. 

And plus making homemade pancakes was easy to make. 

You grabbed your ingredients; milk, salt, sugar, butter, flour, an egg, and baking powder. You gather each one of the ingredients from all over the kitchen as you place them on the counter. You made sure to move it out of arm reach so the little monster wouldn't grab anything and put it in his mouth. 

You looked for a pan next, once you found it you placed it on the stove top. And turn it on,make sure that the cloth you use and your brother's fingers where nowhere on the stove.