Chapter 2: Winter's clammy hands

Allen adjusted his glasses carefully. He grumbled a little under her breath remember that God forsaken conversation about fairytales he had been forced to take part in. He stood in line for TSA's safety checks. Just because you were an FBI agent didn't mean you were exempt form the dreaded pat down of another agent to make sure you weren't planning some funny business. He sighed looking up; only to see Nea freaking Campbell, arrive at the very back of the check line. The purple haired man looked up to see Allen far in front of him, only to have Allen give him a snide smile, quickly turning away.

Allen gave a sigh; the conversation was now fresh in his mind, the X-files? Campbell had to be joking, monsters, aliens, the unexplained...

Ridiculous, a grown ass man believing in such things as monsters. He rolled his eyes just thinking about it, but the TSA agent gave him an odd look as he walked through the x-ray. After the screenings had been done he quickly took his shoes and slipped the black oxfords on as he pulled his coat over himself, walking out to the open area of the airport terminal.

By the time he had gotten to the end to wait for Nea, the man attempted to step through the full body scanner only for the machine to beeped. The man quickly returned to the other side of the scanner and begun emptying out his pant pockets, removed his socks, and checked his shirt pocket, pulling out a pen along a few quarters. He went back through again and it beeped once more.

Allen put his face in his hand, barely making out the words Nea spoke to the TSA agent. "Is it me who broke they're ankle?"

Allen looked up to see a TSA agent patting Nea down and running the metal detector over his ankles only to get it beeping on one.

"Oh so it was me!"

Allen stared almost in disbelief as the other man walked calmly through the scanner once more to the other side to casually pull on his shoes, coat once more, and walk over to him.

"Well that took long enough!" Nea said.

"Why do you have metal in your ankles?" Allen asked quickly. "And why don't you remember that!"

"There are two of us we're identical, I've started to forget what happened to which off us as children." Nea said. "Come on specs!"

"Stop calling me specs."

Seven hours on a plane ride and then another two in the car listening to on and off again, static-y country radio and Nea's insensate chattering of mindless thing, Allen blinked in and out of a light sleep until Nea slammed on the breaks and he jolted up.

Allen gave a glare at the man driving, who barely stuttered out.

"Look."

He turned to see a deer staring back at him just as wide eyed as he felt.

"Oh god damn it, this is why I hate the country." Allen grumbled only to get a mild laugh out of Nea.

"What is this a little too much nature for you, Specs?"

"Shut up, I like nature just fine, just not when it's coming at the car I'm in." He replied swiftly.

"Ooo touché, we're almost at Saint Mary, its right around this bend." Nea said beginning to drive once the deer moved out of the car's way.

"Bigfoot country, huh? Are you ready to see absolutely no proof what so ever?" Allen said with a sneer as they entered a small dusty looking town in the middle of the Montana Mountains.

There was a sudden sharp turn and Allen clutched the handle in the car as they turned roughly into the town's sheriff office lot. Nothing but bumpy gravel road as Nea parked the car.